Got to drive a Viper....

Post here about...well...anything!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Got to drive a Viper....

Post by takza »

This summer my nephew bought a Viper on the west coast and drove it home. 500 HP and tires on the back with maybe 1.5 feet tread width.

I only drove it for maybe 1 mile or so and didn't get it out of 3rd gear.

Strange car. I sat so low in it that I almost couldn't see over the dash/steering wheel. Reminded me of the old British roadsters I first drove...except for the major power it had. Small gauges...hard to see.

Nephew punched it in 2nd...hard to believe the push back into the seat. I managed to punch it up to maybe 45 MPH or so.... Never had a chance to get it into the twisties...probably a good thing...so much power and handling that it would be dangerous? Would take me a few days to get the hang of the 6 speed tranny....I'm not talking transvestite either.... :shock:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Got to drive a Viper....

Post by teranfirbt »

What vintage viper is it? The early ones were truely bonkers, 450 hp in a car with no driver aids. It's been said that you're not a true viper owner until you spin it in a corner.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

often unfortunetly these cars are marketed for people that suffer testosterone poisoning (like the Hummer). not much in the way of comfort or performance, but built to impress the non-car friends of their customer.

They are very impressive looking cars, but often much more modest cars (not even sports cars sometimes) can handle better, are more responsive and a lot more fun to drive. Typically they are not really a "driver's car", but rather something to separate people that want an impressive looking car and their money.

The best "driver's car" I have ever seen, and driven, are the rear or mid engine Porches (I have owned several). They are not particularly impressive looking, and you can spend a lot more on a sports car, but they are really a joy to drive for those of us that like driving. I like the four cylinder Porches, much lighter, better handling and fun to drive, (and they do not eat as much gasoline), though the hard core like the really big power of the sixes.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

My guess is that it's a 2006-7 or ? I'd like to have it for a week or so...get really into the groove with it...but that's probably not going to happen. You'd have to be way on top of your game to drive it hard.

It's my observation that most people...especially those with Corvettes don't really drive them seriously. Or maybe I'm not around when they do.

I can't even drive my Focus for handling due to all the fuzzy and cell phone snitch around...not that I drive fast that much...mostly concentrating to getting somewhere and keeping up the mpg. Do have the Focus rung out for good handling...outdoes the old British roadsters I started out with. If I let it windout...it has decent power. Around 130 HP vs 110 HP for the old Triumphs I drove.

I really like the FWD...don't have the same loss of traction you see with the Tercel in 2WD...no torque steer to speak of...hard to get the back end to break loose...except a couple times in snow. It will seriously pull thru low speed corners from a stop...too aggressive cornering results in inside edge front tire wear though.

Engine in it uses pretty much no oil...and I change it 1x per year...2 qts synth...2 qts regular oil and Pure One filter. Occasionally I've hit 5-6K with it. Has the stock exhaust on it...but I put an old cone filter on it so it makes some noise when you wind it out....sweet.

Had a chance to buy my brothers E-Jag coupe...but didn't have the room for it...etc...etc. He would have let it go for 10K...he ended up selling it on Ebay for 24K to a guy from England. It was bought on Ebay out of California...no rust. Told him that I saw a similar year Jag on Hemmings that was a major rust bucket going for 13K....he lucked out. Never did get my commission on that sell.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

a friend of mine who used to race motor cycles, and knows a lot about performance driving, once bought a corvette at a great price (divorce sale). he drove it hard, thinking it was "designed" for sporty driving. He kept breaking suspension parts, until he blew the engine, and than got rid of it. Again, something impressive looking, designed to separate the customer and his money. Not very impressed with corvette either.

Though the newer ones have some interesting design features, they have a separate division that are not bound to the production engines from the rest of the GM line up, like they used to be. I do not know if they are actually any more reliable, but they are now more than just good looks. Still too expensive for me, and it eats too much gasoline as well (though an acquaintance with one said he can get 30 mph if he drives it very carefully...which is hard to do with such a large engine).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

One option in a reasonably priced sports car is the Nissan 350Z. One guy who tested one got around 30 mpg on the highway. It is a performance car...3.5 L V6 I think. Not a lot of room though. Good idea to make sure the engine is sound though...DOHC engine with a t-belt.

I'm thinking of a Honda Accord coupe...V6 that still gets decent mileage....good safety ratings...reliable...might be the last car I own...if I'm lucky. Buy one with lower mileage in good condition so I don't have to rebuild it like I have the last 2 vehicles I've bought. Getting too old or too lazy for that driveway mechanic sh*t....don't mind brakes etc....changing oil....

Did put new tires on some new wheels for my 30 yr old truck....that was an adventure...lucky I didn't lose an eye though...using the prybars to get them on. Steel wheels...can't use prybars on alum.