A Simply AMAZING Hyundai Ad!

Post here about...well...anything!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

A Simply AMAZING Hyundai Ad!

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Take just 4 minutes and watch this in full screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EOAXrTrsOE ! ! !
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: A Simply AMAZING Hyundai Ad!

Post by Gottolovem »

WOW
I remember when I was a kid and Hyundai first started out. Their car's were crap but they kept at it. Then I belive they were the first to offer a 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty.I think there a good model of how a car company should be managed.
They put their profits into research and development and now make a reliable product.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I really love how people from all over the world in the company got involved.

I'm sure it was heck cleaning out those cars afterwards though :lol:

If you liked that, you'll also like the behind the scenes:

https://youtu.be/NXPte3YlVFs
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I wonder what they are going to do with those cars now. The dust in this area does a lot of damage to vehicles, it gets into everything, including the engine oil and the transmission oil and it is a micro abrasive so it ruins the engines and transmissions in very short order unless they are flushed out and the fluids replaced. The HVAC systems usually have to be disassembled to get all the dust out of the ducts.

If you rent an RV in Nevada or surrounding states, part of the rental agreement is that you will not take the vehicle into one of these areas, and that includes the Burning Man festival.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

The cost may have just been worked into advertising / world record.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

hundreds of thousands folks take their own cars to burning man, me included, and neither i or any of my many friends who have taken their cars have ever had a problem due to the dust. as a precaution though, i fasten plastic bags over the air intake to keep the dust from getting in there once i park. then i shake and bang out the air filter once we get out of there. how else can the dust get in to the engine, and how could it get into the trans? it's very fine but it doesn't have the power to sneak past seals into engines and transmissions.

it's true that RV places in that area won't let you take them to burning man but i think they're just covering their asses. plus the dust is a pain to get out of carpet and whatnot.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

This MUST have been one of, if not THE, most expensive commercials ever made, whether automotive or otherwise!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have driven on those lakes, I did it in Panamint valley (not far from this one, next to Death Valley). Once in my '72 Datsun 510, and another time with our 1971 Mercedies 240D (diesel), with the old oil bath filter, neither car was none the worst for wear, just dusty. It is fun to see how fast you can go on wide open dead flat lake bed, when we did it was rock hard, though with a cracked surface, it was smoother than a hwy.

It is not such a big deal, no worse than the dust you get off any gravel or dirt road in the summer. A good cleaning and new filter should take care of it, and they can sell the cars as used at a "promotional" price. The filters have to be good enough to stop this kind of fine dust because it is in the air everywhere already. Here it is just thick enough to actually see it, but no different than the dust in any warm climate area.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Many many locals cash in during burning man by renting their personal RV's out for outrages sums!(check Reno area craigslist)
I have a personal friend who owns a stage rental business and he provides RV's/trailers that are already setup at the event site.
He get's between 1,500 and 6,000 thousand per RV for one week depending on the quality of RV/trailer and if you need a ride from the airport to the event. The rental's include drinking water and black/grey water tank pickup throughout the event.
He also does the stage's for most of the event.Last year he made over 250,000 grand for a one week event! :shock:
He has a crew of around 20 guys that work nearly a month to setup and break down everything (not a one week event for him)

The contract with burning man itself for the staging represents the bulk of the money
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

All engines and transmission have vents to compensate for changes in air pressure. However, I wanted to take my Saturn to the event last year but I didn't know you have to get tickets about a year in advance. Not sure I'd take a new car out there though.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

keith wrote:I wanted to take my Saturn to the event last year but I didn't know you have to get tickets about a year in advance.
that's right, tickets go on sale in february and generally sell out within a few hours so you have to be savvy. they're also about $400 per person. i fully recommend that everyone with an open mind go to burning man at least once in their life. it's something else.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Without googling it, I'm going to guess it is a hippie music festival? :mrgreen:

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Go look at the many youtube clips of the various events that occur at burning man. I keep thinking it might be fun to go see it one year, but with the time investment, and the cost of tickets and availability getting more difficult to manage, I am not sure it is worth the effort any longer. If it was closer perhaps, but there are a lot of other places I want to go visit first.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)