What else is in your garage?

Post here about...well...anything!
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

What else is in your garage?

Post by Mad_Marx »

I found a pic of a member with an AMX in the background, I apologize for not knowing the name or being able to find the pic off-hand, but it got the gears turning in my mind. What else do you drive.... Here's mine, 1967 K20 (The work horse a.k.a. Truckasaurus)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Re: What else is in your garage?

Post by Mark »

Another Tercel, of course:
181.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

great idea for a thread, mark. that is mr2di4 that has the AMX. i love your truck. the styling on old trucks is so much nicer than modern ones. how long have you had it?

my wife drives a 92 civic vx (averages over 17 km/L aka 40 mpg even though she drives like a bat out of hell) like this one:

http://honda-tech.com/attachments/honda ... -photo.jpg

my usual DD when not driving 4wd tercels is a 90 corolla 4wd wagon:

and we have a 91 f350 for dirty work, carrying the camper, and hauling the horse trailer. we have no love for it but so far it has been pretty good to us. this pic is from camping on the side of the road just outside of virginia city, NV. it was beautiful there. the wild horses walked right by us in the morning.

dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

wow [other] mark, your 1st gen looks great. how do you like it in comparison to the 2nd gen wagons and hatchbacks?
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

Wow, (other)Mark also, that 1st Gen is Sweet!
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

dlb wrote:wow [other] mark, your 1st gen looks great. how do you like it in comparison to the 2nd gen wagons and hatchbacks?
Cars always look better in photos than in real life. My 1st gen had some re-painting done, but they only painted the back half with a non-matching flat red. The trunk looks like it was painted with a brush. I waxed it all to protect it from rust so it's all sort-of shiny. When I bought it, it was so covered with dust I didn't realize it had the different paint in places. I find that the 1st gen handles better, but I think that's because the wagon needs an alignment (it pulls to the right a bit). My wife thinks that the sedan (coupe?) is more comfortable. My wife calls it the luxury car. You sit way lower. It has the same engine and transmission as the second gens. I bought it since, as a 1st gen, it was older and rarer, and since it shared most parts with the 2nd gens, I had lots of spares. It's not as practical as the wagon and it gets worse fuel economy, despite having the same engine and being lighter. I'm not sure why. It seems like it has a bit more power, but that might be because it's lighter. I think it's a great little car to drive around town in and get admiring glances from the 2 or 3 people who get it.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member

Post by Mad_Marx »

@DLB, I love the Corolla All-Trac, you can see the Tercel DNA in that car. Is that Camper rig the one you road trip in? I've had that pickup for 17 years. When I found it I was just looking for a good used pickup, years later I found out how rare it was. The 67 was the only year they built this body style with the small back window and no side marker lights on the fenders or bed, I think it gives it cleaner, more classic lines. Production numbers for the 67 3/4 Ton 4x4 pickup were around 3,700 total. By comparison when they ended this generation pickup in 72 3/4 Ton 4x4 production numbers were 75,000 total. I used to use it as a daily driver, now it wears Classic tags and only gets used for odd chores that the Tercel is too small for.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Mark, we're really jealous of your first gen coupe over here.

We REALLY loved our 1st gen Tercel, but with a baby on the way and SIX cars on the lot (92 camry, 83 87 87 tercel wagon, 85 tercel hatchback and 81 tercel), we had to go practical and start trimming the fleet, and two car seats would not go into the 81 (the rear seatbelts did not pull out and lock). While trying to sell the 85 hatchback, someone made a great offer on the 81 instead and off it went. :(

So besides all the tercels, soon we will welcome the camry home, with a completely rebuilt motor:

Here's pictures of everything:

http://goo.gl/4Nr0Fn

I did a thread on the fleet with stories earlier this year.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10963
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Mad_Marx wrote:@DLB, I love the Corolla All-Trac, you can see the Tercel DNA in that car. Is that Camper rig the one you road trip in? I've had that pickup for 17 years. When I found it I was just looking for a good used pickup, years later I found out how rare it was. The 67 was the only year they built this body style with the small back window and no side marker lights on the fenders or bed, I think it gives it cleaner, more classic lines. Production numbers for the 67 3/4 Ton 4x4 pickup were around 3,700 total. By comparison when they ended this generation pickup in 72 3/4 Ton 4x4 production numbers were 75,000 total. I used to use it as a daily driver, now it wears Classic tags and only gets used for odd chores that the Tercel is too small for.
i love the all trac too. it's amazing how similar it is in some ways, and totally different in others. it's part of why i had such a hard time choosing between the two cars as a DD. it's like comparing apples oranges, despite the fact they share the same small engine-d, 4wd station wagon platform. both are rad in their own rights.

yup, that's the beast we road trip in now. we started with a 4wd tercel and a tent, then moved to a westfalia camper van, then to a ford camper van, and finally wound up with this pig. but the truck and camper came as a package deal for quite cheap, and despite being old and ugly, everything in the camper works great. the hot shower is amazing, as if just having a comfortable queen-sized bed that we don't need to pack up each morning isn't enough. we used the shower for the first time when we got out of burning man last year, and it was unreal. i felt like the upper echelon of white trash.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

looks like the nice young lady with the first gen Tercel is all ready for a rough hike in the wilderness on that trail head is only 300 meters away. looks like appropriate footwear and outdoor clothing, backpack and all. Canadians really know about the wilderness.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

Her snowshoes and pemmican were in that bear-skin bag.
Actually, the trail was a 3-minute walk down some wooden stairs (with a handrail).
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Post by 4doorVIP »

1981 Tercel 4 door 3A with 110,000km. The body is mint but the clearcoat is shot and needs a lot of interior work. I'm about to do a carb rebuild on her:

My baby is a 1991 Toyota Aristo with factory 2JZGTE with 145,000km. I imported from Japan 8 years ago. She is heavy, comfortable, and gets piss poor milage :lol:
4815837675_21b2c35dfe_b.jpg
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5