magicJack Experience?

Post here about...well...anything!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

magicJack Experience?

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I love my LL (my cel is an ancient flip phone powered by gerbils, which is fine with me).
I've been toying with the idea of a magicJack - my AT&T LL runs about $30 per month and the initial charge for a mJ is $60 for the first year and $35 for subsequent years (at least as of now). So - my first year would run $60 for mJ vs. $360 for AT&T, and then $35 vs $360 for subsequent years.
I can keep the LL number I've had for 35 years as well.
So - does anyone here have any experience with mJ?
The Panasonic phone I bought a few years ago for its Call Blocker feature has a cool feature that announces the name of the caller; dunno if connected through the AT&T Caller ID or it is an unrelated Panasonic feature.
It seems like a no-brainer, but...?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: magicJack Experience?

Post by irowiki »

Hmm let's see, I did a quick trip around the block, and before we go any further, let's see what your upload speeds are:

http://www.speedtest.net
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

$30 for a land line? WOW, mine is $52 plus change and it goes up a few pennies every month. If you have the same Panasonic cordless phone that I have, and your cell has bluetooth, you can cut the landline and when ever your cell is at home, it will link to the panasonic. This is great for single people, especially for single women.

I have called people that have used MJ and found the sound quality was very bad, but I think that has a lot to do with their ISP. They do not work if you have a satellite for your internet.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

I tried the old version of magic jack and ended up returning it due to poor sound and it didn't work unless I left my computer running continuously :shock:

My land line is through my cable/internet provider 19.99 per month
My internet is SUPER fast and unlimited both together cost 70.00.

If your cell phone provider is Sprint they offer a 19.99 land line to "it's really just another cell line connected to your home phone jack"
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

@ irowiki -
The u/l is 0.31 and the d/l is 1.32. I have the second from the bottom AT&T DSL service, which is fine for my retired butt. OT, but this service just went up to $38/month.
@Gottolovem -
I had not considered having to leave the 'puter running continuously. I spend quite a few hours on it daily, what with being my HS and collitch "chronicler," but don't want to leave it on 24/7. Cel provider is also AT&T, but am on daughter's account (she worries about Dear Old Dad having a stroke or something while driving - oddly, she gave it to me when I got Goldie back in '05; Hmmm...)
@ keith -
My Panasonic desk unit is the 6.0 Plus, with one cordless remote phone. I really like it. It will block up to 30 of those %$#@*& spam callers.

Again OT, but the LL is $30 and the DSL is $38 - and the assorted taxes (Fed, MO, and City) are $16; ridiculous!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

$30 $38 and$16 is the same price I pay from my cable/internet provider.
You have nothing to loose by giving them a call to see if they have a package deal for both. Just because you don't need high speed dosen't meen you should not accept it @ the same price.
My magic jack experience was the first generation version @ 9.99 per year.
I belive they have ironed out the 24/7 issue.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I looked at the site more, the new MJ doesn't need a computer on 24x7, though it's healthier for the computer to just stay on 24x7 anyway!

If anything, give it the 30 day trial then port your number.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Thanks for the input, guys. I will give mJ a call!
i don't have cable or satellite; just over-the-air TV - too much temptation to watch old movies!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

I don't have cable tv either just internet and phone through the cable company
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I wish I could get cable. Comcast won't even return my calls anymore. Thats the price of living in the boonies. They advertise that they are everywhere, even a ranch in Montana, but that is far from the truth. If they can't get 25 customers per mile of cable, (or something like that) they wont come.