"Winter" arrived in Fresno also!

Post here about...well...anything!
john
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 toy tercel 2wd wagon (formerly a 4wd automatic)

"Winter" arrived in Fresno also!

Post by john »

For all my Tercel Brothers in the Great Frozen North; here are a couple photos of our California winter. Took these this morning. Our tortoise even woke up and crawled out of her burrow. We could sure use some snow in the Sierras. Another dry winter. john
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: "Winter" arrived in Fresno also!

Post by dlb »

we're in the same boat here on vancouver island, john. last summer was one of the hottest, driest on record, and we had no snow pack from the prior winter. so even the cowichan river which is renowned for tubing and swimming in the summer almost dried up. everyone was on severe water restrictions. of course, that didn't stop the local pulp and paper mill from continuing to operate as per usual, sucking up as much water as they figured they needed. industry before common sense, i guess. this year we've had lots of rain but almost no snow so i'm worried about the coming summer. i'm hoping the temps miraculously dip well below freezing for the rest of winter and we get non-stop snow until april.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I drove from Los Anglese to Seattle last month (jan) and all of northern California was snow free. Very unusual for January. Even Shasta was looking rather dry, there were bare rocks showing all the way up to the summit on the north side.

We have been getting a fair amount of rain up here in the PNW, but it has been really warm. Ski season sucks and will be short (it has rained on and off at all of the ski areas for the last month, no significant snow since before new years day). Now they are worried there is not enough snow pack to last the summer, that is the source of all of the Seattle/Tacoma area's water.

Some non-stop snow for the rest of the winter and spring would be nice, but none of the forecast models show anything yet. But what do they know?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
john
Top Notch Member

Post by john »

Did a lot of skiing on Shasta in the 1960's and 70's. The chairlift was over 1 and 1/2 miles long and all above tree line. Open bowl skiing... just tuck and go. I can remember a snowpack at the lodge of close to 30ft one year. Then in '76 or '77 there was so little snow the lifts were closed, so we would hike up and ski down.

Will get up to the Pacific Northwest again someday. Everything all green and nice most of the time. Always enjoy Seattle and Vancouver Island is great; only been there once. john
atoyta
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 3 wagons now

Post by atoyta »

I noticed cherry trees starting to bloom down the road today, they think winter is over.
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

I feel for you guys.
photo.jpg
Sorry bout the poor photo but that's lake effect flurries driven driven by 60Kph gusts and it's -16C, phone didn't seem to like that for some reason??posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=11078#

I feel for you guys that are already having to deal with weeding your gardens and shovelling cherry petals, probably have to cut your grass already too!
Geez, you probably need a boat to go fishing as well.
Just yesterday I was STANDING above 65ft of water.
Nothing quite like 20in of solid black ice.

You poor bathturds, I REALLY feel sorry for you guys.
No doubt you also have to deal with mosquitoes and wasps already!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

Smilies still aren't working, I see.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

the smilies are working for me. maybe PM paul and see why it's not for you. :mrgreen: :o :o :evil: :geek:
john
Top Notch Member

Post by john »

Hello Jarf,
Exactly the response I was hoping for! I actually did see a mosquitoe yesterday and will be mowing the lawn in a day or two. Although I have been in California for 50 years, I was born in Iron Mountain, Michigan. That almost makes me an honorary Canadian! john :D
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

wish i was there another noreaster storm for sunday was 8-10" of snow changed this morning to 16-20" don't need it have to much now and no place to put it
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

darn your guys, we just had one of our ski area close for the season because of no snow. I was hoping to go skiing this winter after a 5 year hiatus. there are several others that are still open, higher elevation areas, but not operating all the lifts. snow is poor, wet and heavy. packed down to concrete-like conditions, and not very deep. Perhaps things will improve the next few weeks, but it is looking pretty bad for all of the ski areas this winter around here.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)