Seeking wife's first car . . .

Post here about...well...anything!
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Seeking wife's first car . . .

Post by drege »

Found a 91 celica GT but the lady is screwing around with punctuality in meeting up.

So contacted 2nd choice that shoulda been 1st choice, had I done it yesterday we'd already have gotten it; an 88 corolla FX
129xxx miles automatic 2 door hatch (3door?) I'm thinking if it survives the wife learning to be a driver (she knows how to drive, just doesn't have the road tenure - it could be a total loss before smog is due in 2017.
Whats the chances this has a longitudinal engine in it? 3a derivative engine? come to think of it it doesn't have enough of a hump, its definitely transverse.
Isn't that what you one car was gotolovem? a sport edition corolla?
Least it will be easier to find major replacement parts if I need em, the SR5 is a pain in the ass!
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: Seeking wife's first car . . .

Post by Gottolovem »

Yes I have an 1987 fx gts
Body parts are next to impossible to find. Engine parts rather easy to get.
The gts model like mine came with the 1600cc DOC motor.
I belive the non gts has a 4ac motor.
If it's in decent shape it is a VERY reliable car and super easy to drive!
What's the price?
drege
Top Notch Member

Post by drege »

897 but we agreed on 750, but now he's say'n someones offering his asking price.
Might have missed out on this one cause that celicaGT person screwed me around all day saturday.
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Dude pay full price thats a smoking deal with that many miles.
Unless the car is trashed pay a little extra to try to get it!
Just the front and back light assemblys are worth 100 buck's each thats almost half the sale price to someone on the AE 82 forum
drege
Top Notch Member

Post by drege »

damnit, Ok.
drege
Top Notch Member

Post by drege »

We got it.
Only thing it needs that I can tell is some shock absorbers in the rear and the core support bent back into shape and maybe the bezel bracket, passenger side is pushed in, but no other damage really - dude even provided new in the box headlight lenses/reflectors.
Definitely a little put-put car.
Pix to come.
drege
Top Notch Member

Post by drege »

All in all I'm pretty damn impressed, technically she bought the car, but if I had bought it it'd be the most expensive car I'd ever purchased private party.
The guy could have made up the other interested parties for obvious reasons but whatever, its well worth the 900, this is why . . .

ImageImage
So impressively the interior is in even better shape than our T4WD, OEM floor mats and am/fm cassette player.
And aside from the core support being pushed in, the grille has no damage at all, there is a little crack on the corner of the TOYOTA emblem, and the whopper the new headlights, WITH aiming brackets - if it weren't for the misaligned hood latch I'd just jerry rig it, the core support is pretty bad off, even cracked/broke in one place.

This is a great little car, I tentatively named it ba-dum, ba-dum cause thats the sound the dead shock makes when you bounce it, she might give it another name though.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Are the seats pushed back for the photo - or do people actually drive with seat rakes like that?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
drege
Top Notch Member

Post by drege »

Oddly that drivers seat is all the way back and its a little too cramped for me, I'm 6'3" though - my terc gives me about 2 1/2 inch more room. also the default position of the seatbacks are too upright for my comfort - so yea, I drive like that kinda 'G-ryde' status.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

An auto with no tach? Wow.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
drege
Top Notch Member

Post by drege »

Not for long :D
Whats the deal with this shock absorber stuff?
The big name parts suppliers all carry two seperate kinds,
Image and Image
Whats in the car currently is the former, as all the other toyotas in the P'n'P or some variant there of, but why are these places claiming that the second type "fit my vehicle"?
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Glad to see you got the car Drege I bet it will be very good little first car for the wife.
I just got back into town with my prize.
20150201_120334.jpg
I have big plans for this one lots of homework to do :mrgreen:
http://www.toycrazy.net/tech/twincharge.html

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rblb_ANtrE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

drege wrote:Not for long :D
Whats the deal with this shock absorber stuff?
The big name parts suppliers all carry two seperate kinds,

Whats in the car currently is the former, as all the other toyotas in the P'n'P or some variant there of, but why are these places claiming that the second type "fit my vehicle"?
If you have a 4WD wagon, the front uses struts (former picture), and the rears use shocks (latter picture).
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Fx has struts front and rear the bolt pattern is not the same as the wagon.
I have a fx FSM drege let me thumb through it and ill post back with more info
drege
Top Notch Member

Post by drege »

Yea dude was all excited about a haynes repair manual, I could only say 'yea thats nice'

I'm not sure what your saying, but this corolla FX has the same shocks at all four wheels, there may be little differences between front/rear, right/left, but while its still on the ground with its wheels on they all look the same.