what size of generator do i need?

Post here about...well...anything!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

what size of generator do i need?

Post by dlb »

we've had our power go out for several days at a time recently. it's not too big a deal but we have a small chest freezer and we would like to keep that and the fridge running while the power is out. maybe running the stove too would be nice but that's it. we use a woodstove to heat the house so don't need that, not worried about hot water.

so for a small chest freezer, fridge/freezer, and stove, what size of generator would i need?
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: what size of generator do i need?

Post by marlinh »

The biggest one you can afford! Do you need 220 for the stove?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i guess we would need 220 for the stove. how do you plug that in to the generator though? are there special 220 extension cords? i don't want to wire this in to our house or anything, just set it up on the deck and run an extension cord in to stuff during the day while we run the generator.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Add up the watts that will be running at the same time, but also account for the initial surge any electric motor will induce, such as fridge compressors/fans. Then you have your answer. Most gen makers have charts to help choose.

Run it now and then to cycle fresh gas. Run non oxy too. If you can swing it, get a Honda. You and your neighbors will appreciate the lack of noise. There are some extremely cheap Chinese throwaway gens to pick from too.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

If you really want to use the stove, you'll need a generator that can produce 220 as well as 110.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

A hotplate/ toaster oven would probably take less juice than the big stove. At least less volts..
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Honda or Yamaha inverter/generators are expensive for a reason!
You get what you pay for they're quiet they start on the first or second pull and will give you many years of reliable service.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

do not run an electric stove off a generator, it has a very large demand and will be a waste of generator, the demand could likely burn it out, not worth it. get a small propane camp stove to use when your power is out. Use the generator just to run the min necessary, ref and freezer to keep from losing your food (with freezer you do not even need it on continuously). I would also advise not to run your computer or TV off the generator, the unsteady power input could damage the modern sensitive circus.

Best of all is to set up your house to not need electricity for short periods of time, that way you just "camp out" in the house with oil lamps and cook on a camp stove, and do not have to hassle with a generator. we do that all the time, power goes out every winter where we live, usually not for more than a day or two at most. We tried the generator, just not worth the trouble, nor the hazard.

Typically it is cold, dark, rainly and windy out, and you are messing around with a flashlight in the rain trying to get fuel in it and get it running after it sat for a year or two. Typically if it had pump gas in it, it would have corroded the carb out (twice I had to rebuild the generator carb with a flash light because of the crappy gasoline). I converted our generator to use propane, which we have a 500 gallon tank on our property. But with our house set up we can get by okay for 2 to 4 days without any power no problem.

We just go back to "per-industrial" household living: wood stove, oil lamps, hand tools, reading, etc. we have stored water since our well does not pump without power, though going more than a few days without a hot shower is a pain, though we have done "sponge bath" with heated water on the wood stove. worked okay, just sometimes you want to soak in hot water, you can not do that without lots of hot water. When the kids were small when the power would go out they thought it was a big adventure, camping out in the house. It was a break in the routine, we would make hot chocolate, pop-corn, read stories to each other, or play old fashioned board games by oil lamp. Our now grown children have fond memories from our powerless nights, they got to play "pioneer house". This is mostly easy if you just set your house up for power-our living, so when it happens you are ready for it.

I would also help to get rid of your electric range, and install a propane one with it's own tank. that way you will have a stove and can cook food (you just have to light the burner with a match the way your great grandmother did). I do not think I have run our generator for over 5 years, even though we have had several times were the power was out for more than 4 days. Fortuanatly that does not happen very often.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)