They said free!

Post here about...well...anything!
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4ac

They said free!

Post by tercelebr8 »

I was told i could have this, but idk what to do w it or if i should...
Where are all the VINs at on these? Apparently there arent any in the right spots

What should i do??

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/cto/4715307229.html
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: They said free!

Post by Petros »

lots of good parts that interchange with the wagon on it. If you have room I would get it, and strip all of the good parts from it, send the rest to the crusher. Engine, trans, radiator, steering rack, radiator, heater core, heater control panel, front steering knuckle (contains wheel bearings and seals), struts (25 mm shorter but many parts are interchangeable, springs, upper mount, etc)., cv axles if good worth saving, front brakes (unless you go for my brake upgrade). windshield, visors, review mirrors, and lots of various interior parts.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member

Post by tercelebr8 »

Any other vins besides the dash and door? I am trying to identify this cars history...
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

there should be one on the firewall in the engine bay.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I don't know if it's driveable or insurable, but the body looks to be in great shape. It would be a shame to crush it. I don't know how many cars you have, but I've found after years of owning 30-year-old cars, it's nice to have a second one around to drive when repairs are needed on the other. I had a 2nd gen ('83) hatchback that was in pretty bad shape so I took almost everything off it and had it towed for scrap. Everything under the hood should be the same as on the wagon. The distributor alone is worth the cost of free. I would still see if it could be made driveable, otherwise it would seem like a waste to me. By the way, what are those wheels from? They don`t look like any generation of Tercel wheels.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I just saw that you already have a few cars, but I would still try to save it as a working car, even if it`s for someone else. Maybe that`s just being sentimental.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Mark wrote:I just saw that you already have a few cars, but I would still try to save it as a working car, even if it`s for someone else. Maybe that`s just being sentimental.
i feel the same way, and i'm sure many others here do too. keep it on the road for as long as safely possible!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I assume there is a reason they could not sell it, usually any running old car in decent condition is worth $400. If they could not give it away, it means it has no value other than strap metal.

I usually feel the same way about saving a worthy car, but the 2wd version of this car was Toyota's entry level car, and everything about it was cheap. There was nothing particularly noteworthy about this car. plastic interior, plastic vinyl seats prone to cracking in cold weather, not particularity good looking, nor very fast, nor good handling, and rather sparse on features and finish.

It is worth more using it to keep the 4wd wagons running, than as a basic transportation car.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member

Post by tercelebr8 »

Mark wrote:I just saw that you already have a few cars, but I would still try to save it as a working car, even if it`s for someone else. Maybe that`s just being sentimental.
I updated my profile in accordance..

only a 4runner, a tercel, and a ranchero currently. Thanks dlb! I will give it a shot.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Petros wrote:I assume there is a reason they could not sell it, usually any running old car in decent condition is worth $400. If they could not give it away, it means it has no value other than strap metal.
Oh you'd be surprised Peter. One man's trash is another man's treasure. I picked up the 87 4WD with the blown transmission for far cheaper than he was looking for because he was convinced it was practically scrap.

We also picked up the 85 hatchback for cheap because "it was just an old car that doesn't run well" but I know how to fix a tercel! (mostly)

I usually feel the same way about saving a worthy car, but the 2wd version of this car was Toyota's entry level car, and everything about it was cheap. There was nothing particularly noteworthy about this car. plastic interior, plastic vinyl seats prone to cracking in cold weather, not particularly good looking, nor very fast, nor good handling, and rather sparse on features and finish.

It is worth more using it to keep the 4wd wagons running, than as a basic transportation car.
I disagree. We have an 85 hatchback and the inside is practically the same as a DLX 4WD wagon... in fact, the seats in the hatchback seem to have more fabric in them then the DLX seats in our 84 T4 auto. Everything forward of the firewall is identical, technically it should be faster and have more power than a T4 as it is a lot lighter. The entire dashboard area is identical too
Last edited by irowiki on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

The '86 brochure I have makes the 5-door look pretty plush.
Since it weighs, with an MT, 230# lighter, I'd reckon it should be faster in every respect - and certainly more aerodynamic than our bricks (sorry, Volvo...).
T4WD - 2290# - 36.9 Lb/HP
5D----- 2060# = 33.2 Lb/HP
Of course, that is from when those horsies were colts; now...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain