1C-L diesel swap into an ae95 corolla?

Post here about...well...anything!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

1C-L diesel swap into an ae95 corolla?

Post by dlb »

as much as i hate engine swaps, i was doing some reading tonight and saw that some european 6th gen corollas came with a 1.8L diesel, the 1C-L. this seems like it would be a direct fit to the ae95 all trac transmission so i'm entertaining the idea. can anyone suggest how to go about finding an engine importer or can they recommend one? i've done some quick preliminary searching now and only found one importer that has a 1C but no 1C-L.

here's the wikipedia page on C engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_C_engine#1C

thoughts?
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: 1C-L diesel swap into an ae95 corolla?

Post by Mattel »

48kw might make it super slow especially as the corolla 4wd is a bit more heavier than the tercel. also - wikipedia seem to have all there model codes messed up on that page. I.e the corolla codes don't have an ae prefix

what about some of the newer engines such as the 3C-TE? I think the turbo would help a bunch. we know that late model 7afes fit straight into the ae95. although some other blocks need a little bit of the sump ground off so that you can have a useable diff lock.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

matt, i'm glad another ae95 fan saw this thread!

i have found that diesels can get away with much lower power ratings and still have satisfactory real life power, at least for me. for example, my dad's old '92 non-turbo diesel jetta was rated at 40kw (54 hp) but was at least as peppy as the 4afe, and it had way more torque.

my reason for a diesel swap would be almost entirely for improved fuel economy, and i like to keep cars as simple as possible (hence my undying t4 love) so i would definitely stay away from any turbos. i would want to keep this as plug-and-play as possible. you're totally right about the block though, i forgot about the ae95 blocks having that unique notch in them.

*edit* i did note the odd model codes on the wiki page but after looking at the main corolla page (which drops the 'a' and only refers them as E90's, E100's, etc), those CE codes on the C-engine wiki page don't worry me.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Diesels defiantly have a lot more torque. My parents have a Hyundai i30 wagon (my recommendation) that gets awesome economy and feels like much more power than the 88kw it comes with due to the 220kw of torque. Theirs is an auto which helps to keep the car in the right power band. I think the low boost modern diesel turbos are much more reliable than the early ones. The narrow power band can keep you busy with a manual transmission though

As for the notch. I'm pretty sure you can work around it by 'trimming' the new block or by putting in an electronic actuated switch (instead of the bulky vacuum one) for the diff lock to work (if you need it) people have done both.

The alltrac forum is very quiet. The other place for info is on the ae95 wagon Facebook page. Cheers David - all the best mate
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i emailed a local corolla enthusiast about this idea, here is his response.

Many Corollas and Sprinters were sold in Diesel. The 1C motor was actually available in the AE82 Corollas sold in the US. http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside ... sel-party/
Also sold in the US was a Diesel Camry. I believe both were 1C motors. The Toyota "C" motors were not well known for reliability. I owned a Townace Royal Lounge with a 3CT (Not 3TC) engine. 3C-turbo. It had a bad head gasket when I got it. lol

If you're a stickler for fuel economy, focus on reducing friction from the vehicle. Good bearings, well greased, and modern, thin, well inflated stiff tires will make the largest noticeable difference in fuel economy. Weight has a massive role in fuel economy as well. Once you've reduced the weight, reduced friction then think about the swap. You'll find those VW diesels are far less fuel efficient when swapped into higher friction chassis's. There is a local fellow who did the TDI into a 4Runner. Kinda a side step.

Japan and many other markets got Corollas and Sprinters in Diesel. There are a few RHD diesel Corollas and Sprinters bouncing around Vancouver already. I've seen them on Craigslist. To save costs you can always import Japanese vehicles for less than the cost of a swap. Here's a diesel Sprinter. https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/j ... /15495034/

Low, weight, low friction = best fuel economy
VW's old perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vATQaJmUdh8
VW's new perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m75t4UtX93c

You'll notice the technology is the same. Low weight, low friction. (note the tire width on both cars!)

Here's some possible donors for your Diesel Corolla. I'm not brand loyal at all. :D
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... s_23396802

the diesel sentras really have my curiosity piqued! for $500, i might take them on as a project. who knows though, we'll see.
pordog65
My tercel:: 87 t2 87 t4

Post by pordog65 »

I had a 91 jetta TD .was awesome motor lots of power an fuel eco..vw jetta is a pos car.though.