Just picked up a 1991 all-trac wagon...

Post here about...well...anything!
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Just picked up a 1991 all-trac wagon...

Post by emmahumpfritter »

I went out to South Dakota to visit a friend cooking at a pheasant hunting lodge. On the way back today I took some back roads (they're ALL back roads in SD) and (to make a long story short) bought and towed home a 1991 Toyota all-trac wagon with a 5spd. 157K, blue, very little rust (they don't' use salt in the dakotas) needs a few odds and ends (rear quarter panel window, two door handles, rear view mirrors) started right up after sitting for a year, the exhaust is a little loud (I'll address it) honestly, I know almost NOTHING about these cars (but reading up on them)

I don't "need" it (that's never stopped me from buying them) and feels redundant to say the least ( I have a T4wd AND an 80's 4runner currently)

Does anyone have thoughts and opinions on these wagons? The forum for them makes you pay $5 bucks to join (to "prove you aren't a spam robot")

Any info appreciated and welcome.
260K with no end in sight....
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Just picked up a 1991 all-trac wagon...

Post by ARCHINSTL »

If I found a nice 5spd one near MO, I'd ditch my POS Dodge/Mitsu p'up in a heartbeat.
Almost moved on one a couple of years ago, right here in STL - but was too slow. It was nice!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i've had my ae95 for almost 3 years and i really like it. the simple early 90's FI system is extremely reliable (no finicky BS in extreme high/low temps), vented brake rotors, smoother ride than a terc, quieter ride than a terc, more comfortable seats than a terc, and the AWD with center diff lock has its advantages over the tercs 2wd/4wd system too. since installing a vacuum gauge in my ae95, i've been averaging 33 mpg with primarily city driving. best i ever got was 37 mpg on a road trip with a bunch of pals. pretty good!

i think the biggest bummers are that the 4afe doesn't offer much more power than the 3a--it's still a gutless little station wagon--and there's less room to work in the engine bay than in the terc.

i'm sure you weren't going to but i'll say it just in case: don't bother paying $5 for the all trac forum. it's pretty much useless. it only has several active members and they lack a lot of the technical knowledge that is more commonly found here. honestly if i was stumped with any corolla issues, i would ask about them here in the off-topic section instead of the corolla forum.

when comparing the terc and the corolla, i really can't decide which i prefer. they're very similar but still feel very different to me. in the end, i think the quirkiness of the terc wins me over. i will probably return to the terc fold when i find the right one.

hope that helps.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

they are very nice cars, quiet and comfortable ride compared to the T4. But it is a very different kind of car than the T4. It is very reliable and an excellent design in all aspects.

I have owned both, got the all-trac for my wife to drive. she drove it a month but decided she did not like it (she likes her 4x4 mini van, says she can see the traffic better in it). so I drove it for several months, and than switched back to my Tercel4wd, thinking i would sell one or the other. I decided to kept the Tercel, even though it has a number of design issues (underpowered, poor brakes, noisy), I like it better. More suited to rough roads, better visablity, more ground clearance, more sport and responsive, so it is more fun to drive. And I am working on fixing the other problems on the Tercel, which you do not have to fix on the all trac; it has a great fuel injected engine, much better brakes, more refined interior, more comfort.

it comes down to what you like, I like the Tercel4wd because it is more jeep like, more utilitarian, and fun to drive, so it suits me.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I've had both as well and have kept the Corolla 4wd wagon for four years now. The corolla is a lot quieter and cruises easier than the T4wd. More power - similar economy but I live in the city so I don't really need to go off road. Mostly I'm on the freeway. I'm happy with the corolla and we have a lot more of them in Australia than Tercels but wouldn't mind a Tercel if I drove a bit more off road or twisty, slow roads. There is a ae95 fan page on facebook that you would probably get more out of than the forum.

I'd suggest that the exhaust problem could be the exhaust manifold as when the engine mount gets old the weight is transferred to the exhaust and it cracks. Very common problem here but it is a good chance to get some extractors and get more performance out of the engine. The engine itself is easily replaced with 4age and other performance motors. The gearbox is very stout and same internals as celica alltrac. etc

good luck with it.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by emmahumpfritter »

Does anyone have a parts one of these in their back 40? I need a few odd parts and these aren't at abundant in these parts.
260K with no end in sight....
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

There seems to be a few of these in Colorado if you know anyone there. In Australia at least the mirrors are the same as geo prizm.. you may need to check this though

you might have to make that rear window up though. could you get glass or perspex to fit? I think its pretty flat.

Matt
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms