Blown engine!

Post here about...well...anything!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Blown engine!

Post by irowiki »

So dad just bought a 2005 Excursion with the 6.0 Diesel (off ebay), about 200k miles. He drove it home from Dallas Texas to Montrose Colorado with no issues. We spent part of saturday over the weekend replacing bad interior switches (whoever owned her before thrashed every window, lock and seat switch).

So then we decided to go on a drive. We make it about 2 miles out when I notice a huge cloud of gray smoke out the side mirror, while dad is making a confused face. We had just pulled out onto the highway, and as we passed 50 mph the smoke started. Power went away. Managed to pull off the road, engine would barely idle, more gray smoke.

Got her towed to our local Ford dealer. They looked at her Wednesday, and said the engine was shot. Apparently the #6 fuel injector broke off, make a hole in #6 piston, and then the engine promptly sucked out all 15 quarts of oil in about 15 seconds (hence the smoke).

They quote $16,000 for a reman engine and install (Ford claims to need to remove the cab) Local diesel repair place claims they don't need to remove the cab and he's going down there to talk to them right now.

Sheesh. Makes me glad tercels are so easy to work on!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: Blown engine!

Post by Gottolovem »

PULL THE CAB an excursion is a full body what a bummer i think ford has had a ton of trouble with there newer diesels.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

HOLY CRAP Paul!! Is there any warrantee through the seller or E bay? The old Ford 6 liters used to be called Sick Liters. I would have thought they would have figured it out by now. A lot of these newer vehicles require the whole cab to be pulled off to replace the motor. The labour to remove the cab is part of the time quote to re and re the engine.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

He's going through the dealer first, then will contact ebay.

Apparently the cab doesn't need pulled and a local place will do it for half that.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

marlinh wrote:HOLY CRAP Paul!! Is there any warrantee through the seller or E bay? The old Ford 6 liters used to be called Sick Liters. I would have thought they would have figured it out by now. A lot of these newer vehicles require the whole cab to be pulled off to replace the motor. The labour to remove the cab is part of the time quote to re and re the engine.
marlene, are you referring to the 6.9L diesels in their trucks? i was actually just looking at a few since getting back from our road trip. do you know of any common failures with them? i've been searching but couldn't find any such complaints. the biggest complaint was that they were slow. apparently the 7.3L ford diesel that followed was a bit better in that regard.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Actually the 6.0 came after the 7.3 for fords.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

It was the six liter diesels. We used to see them in the shop a lot. I don't remember the actual problems anymore. One of the other techs used to do the diesel repairs. It wasn't my area.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Hey Paul,
What did your dad end up doing with this diesel?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Had a local diesel shop completely rebuild it from the ground up... he spent a doozie on it!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Ouch!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

yeah somewhere in the $8,000 range I think. I didn't ask because it started getting painful!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

guess I will not be buying a ford desiel anytime soon. We owned a one ton gasoline, it was a good work horse, got it used cheap. had it's share of issues that I fixed (the TPS on the engine is notorious, but an easy DIY if you can diagnose the problem, it does not throw a code when it goes bad, just runs like shit and makes the auto trans shift badly, making you think the trans is going bad!).

I have owned a number of older deseils, an '84 GMC, a '71 Mercedies, a '54 IH tractor, all simple to maintain and keep running, I do not like the smell nor the noisy engines. I see no reason to own one any more.

As you can see, there is no economy to buy a big diesel if you have to replace the engine every 5 years. Might have been cheaper to buy and old beater and rebuild from the ground up. No federal emssions crap on those.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Was there no warranty from e-bay/vendor? What was the time frame from purchasing it to replacing the motor?
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

marlinh wrote:Was there no warranty from e-bay/vendor? What was the time frame from purchasing it to replacing the motor?
The truck was purchased in texas and driven back home in colorado. 2 weeks later I believe something in the engine blew out and took everything with it.

The car was sold as "Well maintained" etc but ebay said "2 weeks is too long" basically. IMO Ebay should have stepped in on something that massive that short of time after purchase, but they acted like "Sorry, we don't want to deal with it" from what I've heard.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Ebay said since there was no clear indication of fraud there was nothing they could do, I think he's still going back and forth with them about it.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k