cat defends boy against dog

Post here about...well...anything!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

cat defends boy against dog

Post by dlb »

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/tara-is-a-h ... -1.1823169

my dad just sent me this and i think it's pretty awesome. it looks like the cat hits the dog full force and actually knocks it right off the kid's leg. pretty amazing david vs. goliath stuff.
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Re: cat defends boy against dog

Post by 4doorVIP »

The cat is my hero lol
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by emmahumpfritter »

The dog looks like a pit-bull type breed. Whipping its head around like a shark, unprovoked attack, yet people still pretend they're great dogs who just get a bad rep. I hope that cat gets pampered for the rest of it's life.
260K with no end in sight....
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

emmahumpfritter wrote:The dog looks like a pit-bull type breed. Whipping its head around like a shark, unprovoked attack, yet people still pretend they're great dogs who just get a bad rep.
Glad you wrote that! One of these beasts has an "incident" here in St. Louis Metro area seemingly every couple of months, and the amount of defense and rationalization that owners of the breed issue is ferocious. These are not the drug dealer types - they keep quiet after such attacks.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that is remarkable for the cat, they are not usually protective of family members since they are not "pack" animals.

My wife and I have worked with many "rescue" dogs and cats, including bull dogs. My wife volenteers at the local private "no kill" shelter to help rehabiitate strays to make them good pets. Any dog or cat can be either kind and affectionate, or completely unpredictable. I have seen many "psycho" cats as well, attacking unprovoked. the more you work with animals the more you realize any animal, dog, cat, horse or goat, any breed, can be unpredictable and dangerous (a wild sheep killed a hiker unprovoked a few years ago in our state). animals are just as capable of being evil and demented as any human. Always use caution with any animal you are not familiar with.

We took in an abandon young bull dog once, very affection starved and needed a lot of attention. Despite his size and massive muscles, he loved to snuggle in my lap. but several times I "triggered" something in him and he attached me as if I was a dangerous stranger (despite living with use for almost a year). I was not harmed because I was half expecting it. sometimes out of fear these powerful dogs will "snap" and attack in a frenzy. I have seen cats do the same thing.

animals do not behave the same way humans do, and can often do things out of charter. every pet owner should be aware of this, many attacks come from pets that have never displayed that behavior. the large the dog the bigger the risk of them causing serious harm, particularly to children.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Petros, you didn't happen to be volunteering at the shelter this day? :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIoOJKLHeY0
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

Every time I hear of aggressive cats I think of this lil guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf-UKCNXUio
I don't recall it ever being officially said why he's so freaked out but tbh it could be something as simple as he hates camera. I had a cat who was TERRIFIED if someone came up to her with a camera or phone trying to take pictures, and if she was cornered she'd hiss and spit and growl, but otherwise she was an absolute sweet cat.

But, as far as cats defending people, I have a 13 year old declawed cat who has been with me since she was 6~8 weeks old. She's practically my first baby, and she's terribly attached to me. When I had to move and my mom kept her for 2 months during the process, the cat nearly starved itself. She was so sick and lethargic my mom thought she was dying while she was away from me. But the very second she heard my voice when she was being dropped off at my new place she was like a kitten again, super excited and energetic. This cat would probably be just like Tara was for that little boy, she's so extremely protective of me and my son. I always joke saying she thinks she's people.