Wagovan!

Post here about...well...anything!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Wagovan!

Post by irowiki »

Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Re: Wagovan!

Post by Mark »

I see quite a few of those here. I think they were actually one of the main competitors for the Tercel. They must have sort-of won since I see more of them than the Tercel wagons.
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

We've only seen one wagovan, maybe two, in our travels, but I've spotted a good dozen or so random tercels on the road. There's at least 1 other in the area who is pokey's older manual sister and we spotted two others we'd never seen before last weekend (I think it was then at least) and left one a note with apparently no bites to come to the forums. The second of the two was a 2WD pulling in for gas somewhere but we were too late seeing it so we passed by.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I guess they were sold more in Canada than over here?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

I have been told that the honda wagons get super mpg but more difficult to work on.
My neighbor has one
Last edited by Gottolovem on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

You mean like this hard?

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

My brain just melted :shock:
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Yup, any time you're swearing at your Tercel's vacuum lines just remember, you could have a Honda!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

"we gots a vacuum leak, let's search this 200ft of hose"
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Just swap out the red one :lol:
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I had one of these in 4wd for a while (they were available in both FWD and 4wd, with the FWD being far more common). the one I had I got for free, it had a blown head gasket. It is the civic wagon with a nissan rear end in it. the 4x4 version is far less common than the Tercel4wd, and I suspect they are hard to get parts for it. the '83-87 had a 1.5 L carb engine (with a ton of vac lines and vac operated equipment, about double the Tercel), and from '88 to about '92 this wagon got a little larger and got a very nice 1.6 L EFI engine. More power but less fuel economy. I compared the earlier one I had side by side with my Tercel, the honda handled better (like all hondas), it got better fuel economy and had more HP. but the ground clearance was not as good, and the Tercel actually has much more cargo room. And for around there the Tercel4wd is much more common, and parts much easier to get. LIke all hondas, they are also a very big PIA to work on, hardly any room to reach common maintanance items (the oil filter for example can only be reached by rasing the car up in the air, you slide all the way under it and reach your arm way up between the engine and the fire wall and hopefully have enough finger strength to get the filter off because there is no room to get a filter wrench on it!). I decided I liked the Tercel better and sold it, I figured I could fix the short comings of the Tercel (brakes, suspension, power output, etc).

All of the Japanese imports had a 4x4 small car in the 1980's (Nissan, Honda, Subaru, Mitibishi in the form of the Colt wagon, and of course the Tercel4wd), trying to take a bite out of the large nitch that subaru had already pioneered in the late seventies. The only ones that survived, and are still relatively common is the Tercel4wd, which should tell you something about their durability compared to the others.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i've only seen a handful of civic wagons in my whole life, and i don't know if any of them have been 4wd. they look pretty neat though, really tall with lots of cargo room.

they use a viscous coupling for the rear axle so the car is primarily FWD until the wheels start to slip, and the the rear axle is engaged. i prefer the tercel's manual selection method, and even the corolla's push button AWD/4wd w/ locked center diff. i'm a control freak who likes to decide when i engage what!

looking at some 4wd civic wagons on fuelly, it appears they average just a few mpg less than a t4.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ericy/civic

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/x247nsx247x/civic

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/4wdcivic/civic

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/uniaustin/civic

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/jasnall/civic

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/entropic/civic
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 4x4 Automatic - restored

Post by CathodeRayTube »

I want to get a Colt Vista to add to my collection...im actually on that forum as well even though i dont own one... (im also on the VW forum, ford truck forum, panther-platform forum, yugo-yahoo group among other things..)

The colt appears to me to be what the corolla or camry all-track wagons SHOULD have been as far as having the same styling and functionality as the tercel, but being the larger model up...but it came from Mitsu/dodge instead of toyota...

Colt had a special transmission that could be modified for 8-speeds forward...it effectively was a 4 speed with a high/low split...normally 1-4 were LOW and then 5th was just a vacuum actuated 4-high...so by modifying the vacuum routing and adding a switch on the gearshift one could have 8 speeds forward and 2 reverse...just like a truck...as well as 4x4. IDK if anybody else has thought of this but i want to do it when i eventually get one...also there was a turbo diesel engine in the JDM market, actually in the vehicle and designed for it, that is known to bolt into it...so i want to import that and install it the same as im doing with the Tercel...

I also hope to have a Stanza wagon AND a subaru DL/GL wagon as well so il have the whole collection of 80s station wagons...although i feel a bit less passionate about those 2...and i hate the honda.. ugly...
86 T4 DX 4x4 - Diesel Swap project
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
85 F250 dually 6.9 turbo diesel
81 VW Rabbit Turbo diesel project