NGK parts

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

I wen't to the NGK website and got the following information, thought you guys would be interested:

SPARK PLUGS:
Standard: BPR5ES-11
V-Power: BPR5EY-11
G-Power Platinum: BPR5EGP
Laser platinum: BPR5EP-11
Iridium IX: BPR5EIX-11

recomended gap for all of the plugs is 0.044in, oweners manual sometimes says differant -11 means 1.1MM gap if your tercel burns oil, you'll probably want a hotter plug, the number 5 indicates heat range i beleive, but i am not entirely sure.

WIRE SETS
RC-TX03 9993
(look under "NGK performance" wire sets for TX03)

OXYGEN SENSORS
OE type: 24105
universal type: 24000

if your local parts dealer dosn't have this stuff, check out http://www.clubplug.net, they got it all.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Thats great reference material, thanks for posting it! ;) I'm going to move it to the reference section so it doesnt get lost, but I'll leave a link to it here.

I have the NGK Iridium plugs in my tercel; they are AWESOME!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

NGK's website has the listing of what each of the letters and numbers in their part numbers means.

<a href='http://www.ngkspark.com.au/' target='_blank'>NGK Website</a>
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"
TominMO
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Re: NGK parts

Post by TominMO »

I looked up the O2 sensor on Rock Auto, and it gave the brand as NTK, not NGK. A little digging showed they have the same parent company tho. Maybe since the last post eight years ago they branched off to NTK. Note that the OEM O2 sensor manufacturer is Denso, BTW, which is what I would stick with. Probably NTK uses the same voltage range for its sensor in this application as Denso, but best to be sure.

Often you will hear of people just going with a generic Bosch O2 sensor, but then have drivability or fuel mileage problems, because it is a generic sensor and not tailored to the voltage range of specific vehicles.
1986 4WD Tercel, formerly gold, now camo
1995 Ford Aspire SE, MPG development car, shooting for 65 MPG hwy
1990 Ford Festiva, mild motor swap, HP development car
The other Tom M. in STL w/a gold 1986 SR5--from the universe where Spock has a goatee
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

TominMO wrote:
Often you will hear of people just going with a generic Bosch O2 sensor, but then have drivability or fuel mileage problems, because it is a generic sensor and not tailored to the voltage range of specific vehicles.
The reason that I won't run A Bosch O2S is because they are junk. For example, the Denso and NTK sensors for the T4wd is extra long to put the tip of the sensor out in the exhaust flow as the ex manifold is extra thick at that point. This matters a lot as we are talking about an unheated O2S in this case. Getting the little details right is not something that Bosch puts much effort into. The Japanese made O2S's seem to last longer also.

A narrow band O2S is not tailored to a specific range for a specific vehicle. That is what I was taught when I took the California clean air course, and I have seen no reason to doubt that info yet.
TominMO
Top Notch Member

Post by TominMO »

I would not say they are junk. I installed one in my '90 Subaru Loyale and it did just fine. It's just that you have to know what you are getting. I suspect they don't tailor the voltage ranges to each application; or, as you say, in some cases the probe is too short. But anyway, now I will only use the Denso brand, or whatever is the stock OEM for the application.
The other Tom M. in STL w/a gold 1986 SR5--from the universe where Spock has a goatee
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have never had good luck running Bosch products of any kind in a Japanese car. I had used Bosch in my old Porsche, my Volvo and in a old 240D, with good results. when I bought my first Datsun, I used the NGK, but tired the bosch spark plugs once and found they did not hold up very well. I also used champion, because I got them for free through my employer (nissan), and they were indeed junk. I never had all four spark plugs last for one full tune up, they would internally fail (looked okay on the outside, but would misfire). I went back to NGK for all Japanese cars with good results.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
TominMO
Top Notch Member

Post by TominMO »

Uh-oh, I just bought a Bosch disty cap and rotor.....wish me luck! :oops:

Interestingly, both parts say "made in Japan"!