Heater core bypass

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
c_j
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: T4WD#4: '86 SR5 6-speed, original Barto lift & steel bumpers & winch, also 95Amp alternator

Heater core bypass

Post by c_j »

bad heater core?
easy heater core bypass with 1 molded hose and 2 clamps
dayco_86050_and_number_10_hose_clamps.JPG
  • Dayco # 86050 (5/8" heater hose with 180 degree bend)
  • Tridon # HAS10 (all-stainless hose clamps for 5/8"ID hose)
dayco_86050_heater_core_bypass.JPG
The reason this was done is that I blew a heater hose not long ago. It spewed out most of the coolant and temperature was almost at the red line within 2 minutes. The heater valve had been previously removed and the heater hoses were chopped up and cobbled together with copper plumbing elbows and hose clamps. Not a single tool was on hand, but there was a creek nearby. Had a bag of garbage in the back of the car and scrounged up a large wax-paper cup. Had a quarter in my pocket and was just baaaarely able to undo the hose clamps with the quarter (thankfully they were traditional hose clamps and not the OEM style with the phillips/10mm hex head). There was enough play in one of the heater hoses to bend around and accomplish this bypass, but it was kinked badly in the process. 6 trips down into the creek with the cup to get water and the rad was full and I was on the road. Bought the hose pictured above and installed immediately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: Heater core bypass

Post by marlinh »

Good for you. Creative repair. Those factory clamps are usually a PITA even with proper tools.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

this is one of the reason you should never drive around in a 30 plus year old car without any tools!

I always replace those factory wire hose clamps, they suck big time. A PITA to get off, I have never managed to get one off without destroying it. If you blow a hose, even with tools, you could never do a by-pass if all you have are the factory wire hose clamps on it, you would be stuck!

BTW, keep an eye on your coolant level, you may have compromised the head gasket if it got that hot. You can not tell at first, it may act fine and not show up on a compression test. but over the next several months will consume small amounts of coolant. check it every fill up, no matter what. It is still drivable even if it consumes coolant, but it means a head gasket replacement is somewhere in your future. Get the parts together and plan ahead for the day it will need to be done. If you keep adding coolant, it will eventually blow big time and could leave you stranded. So if it starts using small amounts of coolant, and the coolant recover tank and radiator cap is collecting slimy goo, replace the head gasket (using my procedure in the repair guides section) at the next available weekend.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
c_j
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: T4WD#4: '86 SR5 6-speed, original Barto lift & steel bumpers & winch, also 95Amp alternator

Post by c_j »

Petros wrote:this is one of the reason you should never drive around in a 30 plus year old car without any tools!
Oops, I did it again...nah nah nah.... So I posted this thread when I replaced the bypass and put the heater core back into service. And I totally forgot the 6th hose clamp. Drove 1 hour fine, then drove 1/2 hour and came to a stop at a traffic light. I thought I heard static coming from the radio, "That's weird, the radio is off." So I shut the car off and it continued. So I'm thinking, "Maybe it's some noise outside," and rolled down the window. "It sounds really close," as I glance at my temp needle sitting right in the red. There was a gas station in my rear view mirror. I spun around and without any pinging or otherwise shittier-than-usual performance, I landed in the gas station parking lot and managed to borrow a mop bucket full of water. (no hose? This is a gas station, right?) Loosened the rad cap 1 notch and nothing - no water, no steam - so I turned it to the second notch and the cap tried really hard to fly off, but I managed to keep a hold on it and luckily I had an old McDonalds napkin between my hand and the rad cap because it was getting damn hot and soaked from the steam. I didn't want be the burn victim and let go only to get a face full or boiling water either, so I was relieved that the pressure went down after about 20 seconds. Deja-vu here as I pulled that (same?) quarter out of my pocket (no tools - again) and tried to do up the hose clamp on the heater core right behind the cylinder head while getting several small burns on my hands because of the tight quarters. Man that engine was zinging hot! I poured the water in slowly and it didn't shoot hot water and steam at me (been there - done that. Do not pour water into a smoking hot engine or you will get the delayed volcano eruption of burning hot coolant out the radiator filler neck). And then I was on my merry way (after returning the bucket and thanking the gas station dude for lending me his bucket even after the local reprobates stole the water jugs he usually leaves outside for the unfortunate and stupid people, such as... not naming any names here)
Petros wrote:...if it starts using small amounts of coolant, and the coolant recover tank and radiator cap is collecting slimy goo, replace the head gasket (using my procedure in the repair guides section) at the next available weekend.
Back in the day, I replaced a 3A head gasket more than a couple of times due to not ever letting off the throttle regardless of coolant temp. And a few valves too (usually #1 exhaust, I think). Looks like I might get me some more practice now.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

It occurred to me after reading this that there is some level of old car metaphysics going on here: if you drive around without tools in your old car you will almost certainly have a break down. So, to ward off the evil old car demons, bad Car-ma, and fate, you ALWAYS need to carry at least a minimal tool kit, a fan belt, some hose clamps etc. The larger your emergency "kit" the more demons or bad ju-ju it will repel. You know as soon as you use that length of spare heater hose, it will be badly needed late at night in a remote area some time soon.

It is just BAD LUCK to not carry a tool kit and spare parts.
c_j
Top Notch Member

Post by c_j »

Petros wrote:...if you drive around without tools in your old car you will almost certainly have a break down.
So true. So, (and I am not joking by the way,) what would you say if I packed a tool bag and a socket set around for the past 2 days, but I cleaned out my car to hold a load of plumbing parts last night, and this morning I blew off another heater hose. No, really. This time the clamp was done up, but it was an old gear clamp and I thought it was tight, but it must have been binding up before it was clamped enough.

This time the distinctive coolant smell tipped me off and the temp gauge was pinned to the roof and I was able to get over the next rise and park close to some wheel ruts. It was absolutely pissing rain, so the wheel-ruts were overflowing with only slightly-muddy water. Back to the quarter in my pocket (I can't believe it - this is my most used tool now. And yes, I'm calling it a tool.) and it took quite a while to feed the water slowly, as it just ended up coming back out in steam.

I think a round of fresh hoses and all new clamps is in order. And Petros: I think I'll order that head gasket now.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Wow, three times! I would definitely find room for that tool kit, no matter what. Make it small enough to cram under the front seats, but don't drive around without anything.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

those car gremlins have found you unarmed (without tools) and you are now under full assault!