How To Test Your Alternator - EXTERNALLY REGULATED

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
gmeddy
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 83, SR5

How To Test Your Alternator - EXTERNALLY REGULATED

Post by gmeddy »

This is a quick and easy method to test if your alternator is working or not.
And also how I figured out what was wrong with my charging system.

How to just straight up test your alternator for output.

Step 1:
Remove main cable and the 3 wired plug from the back of the alternator.

Step 2:
Start engine

Step 3:
connect a wire from positive battery terminal to the F (field) terminal on the alternator. Only for a few seconds, as overloading the alt is not good.
(The three terminals that the plug sticks into have letters corresponding to each one, they are printed on the back of the alternator near the plug hole)

Step 4:
Test the output from the main cable attachment point on the back of the alternator.
If your alternator is good, it will be outputting around 50V or more, so don't test it with your test lamp like i did, the bulb will blow immediately.

The way I applied power to the F terminal was to just touch the cable to it that I had removed from the back of the alternator, the big thick one that bolts to the back of the alternator, that cable is directly attached to the positive side of the battery.
You should see a tiny blue spark as it connects, because it's kicking the alternator into full output, you should also hear the engine revs die a little bit as it takes the load of the alternator.

The next step is to work out why the alternator was not working in the first place, now that you have worked out that it is not faulty. (Or maybe you have worked out that it is dead if there is no output after doing the above test!)

The voltage regulator plug, as your FSM shows, is labeled with letters for each of it's 6 wires.
One is F, thats the one that goes directly to the F terminal on the back of the alt, and if it's not outputting anything, your Voltage Reg is dead, OR it is not getting any power to itself either.

The other thing to check is that it is getting a constant 12v supply in the B terminal, if i recall correctly, the bottom right terminal, it's a thick white wire.
Mine was getting the 12v input there.

You will also notice that the top left is labeled IG, not too hard to guess that should be 12v supply when the ignition key is turned on.
My Voltage Reg was not getting anything at this point.
I found my point of failure.

So I plugged everything back into the alternator and supplied 12v to this wire, and "boom baby!" everything worked fine! 14 volts at the battery.