Control Arm Repair at Chassis Mount

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Control Arm Repair at Chassis Mount

Post by xirdneh »

This is how i did it, primative as it is.
Pictures are in reverse order so start at bottom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Control Arm Repair at Chassis Mount

Post by dlb »

wow, nice work regardless of welding skills. what was it that caused the damage in the first place? was the control arm simply not bolted in snugly?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

dlb wrote:wow, nice work regardless of welding skills. what was it that caused the damage in the first place? was the control arm simply not bolted in snugly?

I am not sure what started it
I had to re tighten the bolt several times over the last five years
So I knew trouble was coming
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i had quite a bit of trouble doing the alignment on my green tercel a year or two ago. after doing a bunch of front end work, including replacing the control arm bushings, and having a full alignment done at a shop, i found the car always pulled to the passenger side a bit. i checked the toe in and found it was out a bit so i corrected it. still had the same problem. messed with the toe in a bunch but couldn't seem to fix it. then petros mentioned on here one time about how the control arm should be in it's resting position when the bolt is torqued up. i have no idea what position it was in when i torqued it up so i wonder if that had been part of the problem. do you think that could that have been related to this damage?
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

yep- always tighten the control arm bolt with the arm in it's normal riding position- ie wheels on, car off jacks. i've found the easiest way is to drive the car up on ramps (if you have 'em- i don't.) so i just drive the offending wheel up on the curb, slide under and tighten the bolt up. works for me!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Both the control arm and the sway bar should be in the resting position, per the FSM.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

All suspension bushings should be tightened at ride height. Many urethanes one float making it less important. But stock ones are fully bonded and only have a minimal flex zone. Can make for some twitchy operation and reduced bushing life when they are always at their limit.