flywheel for a 4AGE swap

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
BIGDOME10
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel 4wd 6-speed SR5

flywheel for a 4AGE swap

Post by BIGDOME10 »

i bought a 4age out of a 90 mr2 and have been rebuilding it in anticipation of putting it in my 85 sr5 wagon :twisted: ... and was just trying to get as much as posible sorted out before i start the swap. and i have no clue weither to use the flywheel from the 4age or from the 3au, or if i need a different one, which one is it? your insight will be much appericiated
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: flywheel for a 4AGE swap

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the list!

you will need a different flywheel from stock. You will need it to make the engine work with Tercel4wd starter and bell housing on the trans. Two ways to go, either have the Tercel flywheel bolt holes welded up and re-machined (from six bolt to 8 bolt) to match the 4age crank bolt pattern. I would also recommend cutting as much weight off the 3a flywheel as possible, it is way too heavy. the other options is to take the 4age flywheel and have the ring gear removed, and have it machined to fit the 3a flywheel ring gear. This will give you a larger clutch but you may have to grind away at a few places in the Tercel bell housing to make sure there is enough clearance from the larger clutch and flywheel. not usually a problem.

There are several threads on the 4age swap, go read them and you will learn about this.

Where are you located?
peter_tuning
Advanced Member

Post by peter_tuning »

installation for engine 4a-ge flywheel 3a and crank 4a-fe (6 bolt)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

oh yes, thanks for the reminder Peter. The 4afe crank is dimensionally the same as the early 4age engines, except it has the six bolt flywheel, so the Tercel 3ac flywheel will bolt on to it. You just have to verify that the bearing journals are the same size, I think there was a point where the 4age went to larger connecting rod journal dia.

Minor word of warning, the 4af crank is reported to be cast iron, and the 4age is much stronger forged steel. I have never heard of anyone ever breaking a toyota crank shaft, so it is likely never going to be an issue, but Toyota spent more money to install a forged crank in their 4age engines for a reason. (perhaps they were anticipating that people will be tweaking their 4age to 475 hp? Naw). The 4af crank should handle the stock hp out of 4age no problem. Just do not over rev it to above 10,000 rpms.