sway bar

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
DuB.wEasEl
My tercel:: 83 4wd Sr5

sway bar

Post by DuB.wEasEl »

How big are the openings in the control arm that connect to the sway bar supposed to be? Did my sway bar bushings today and the id of the opening seems excessive. The passanger side made noise but the driver side seemed to have more abrasion.The car handels far better now, the pull to the right seemed to correct, the shutter at stop is gone and the steering feels tighter. I fear that this will be short lived, unless the id of the control arm is suppossed to have that much clearance.
83 Tercel SR5
81 Isuzu I-mark, Diesel (42mpg on used motor oil, tranny fluid, fry oil, way oil...)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: sway bar

Post by dlb »

i don't have any spares kicking around to measure but there is substantial clearance in the control arm holes the sway bar ends fasten to. its supposed to be like that because the sway bar and/or collar should not directly contact the arm: if the metal collar or sway bar end rubbed against that hole, it would cause clunks and grinds and eventually wear both items out. the bushings on either side of the control arm should be the contact points between the sway bar ends and the control arms.

as long as the hole is still round, i would not be concerned. if it was egg-shaped or oblong, then i would be since that would mean there had been significant metal on metal contact.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

i measured three that i have at .83, 84, and .87 inch hole
i consider all of them good to use
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
DuB.wEasEl
My tercel:: 83 4wd Sr5

Post by DuB.wEasEl »

Thank you for the measurement.. I didn't get to put the cals to mine but I was thinking they looked like a little under an in.
83 Tercel SR5
81 Isuzu I-mark, Diesel (42mpg on used motor oil, tranny fluid, fry oil, way oil...)