Doing the struts....

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

*** Note...there IS apparently a strut insert available for the narrow type strut assemblies...check NAPA? ***

There is a writeup on the struts....but it isn't here in the repair section...so I'm starting a writeup here...where it can be found...maybe....

I tried to do one side today but found that the inserts that were sent have no way of fitting. My guess would be that the '83 has the non-rebuildable struts. The cartridges were way too large in diameter to fit into the strut tube.

After removing the piece on the top of the tube...I found that the strut had lost some oil...and so I added some Mobil 1 synth ATF until it would take no more...and then put it back together and back into the car. This helps with the bounce test just a little...but still not a lot of shock action...though the shock takes some effort to move in both directions.....this is not the same oil that is used for cooling around the strut cartidges.

-----

**** Seems that I have one of the few T4WDs with non-rebuildable struts....

"Here are the prices you requested.

Complete front Toyota struts $132.14 each.

All parts are new Genuine Toyota Parts and carry a one year warranty
that will be honored at any Toyota dealership in the United States.

Butler Toyota
Indianapolis, Indiana"

....so....I'm beginning to like my old struts a lot better than before....since they pass the "not more than 2 bounces" bounce test....I might just add some heavier oil and use them as is.

IF you have struts where the strut tube measures about 1 3/4" in OD...you have the non-rebuildable struts. The rebuildable types have a larger diameter tube.

You MIGHT find these on the '83-'84 models?????

* 3ACPower says that the later rebuildable type strut should replace this earlier version...you'd need the complete strut assy plus the cartridge...makes sense in that Toyota would not likely change anything but the strut itself. *

* THE PARTS GUY at a Toyota dealership stated that the cartridge-type rebuildable struts were put on the wagon starting with the May 1986 production date as found on the door jamb. So if you have put cartridges in a pre '87 (?) model wagon...it has had the strut assys replaced previously with the later type? *

...THE PARTS GUY.......

-----

Found that it isn't really that big of a job...at least as far as I got with it.

Before removing the 2 bolts that hold the strut...I carefully used a cold chisel to mark the exact postion of the LINE on the end of the cam...on the strut bracket area right next to this line...so that when putting it back together...the same exact camber setting can be had.

The "camber adjusting cam" is a sloppy fit...meaning that you won't likely get the camber back to where it was by using this mark. Tapping the end of it DOWN increases the negative camber (bottom of wheel is OUT).

pic showing the spring partially compressed with a $10 Harbor Freight spring thing...notice the bolt and nuts put thru the bracket at the bottom...this allows you to clamp the strut in a vise without deforming this bracket.....

top of the strut when out of the car....yes it's UGLY...I beleive in using lots of oil on stuff...espec when it's rusty....

where the strut fits in the tower....

Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

my tercel 4WD is a 1983 model and had rebuildable struts, but now it has monore sensetrac has inserts. the idea of rebuilding them and putting in a thicker oil for a firmer ride sounded good, but buying all new seals and anything else that may be needing replaced didn't.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

If the PARTS GUY is right...your struts were replaced at some time previously....NOW you can put the cartridge in them. Don't think they sell a rebuild kit for the earlier struts.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

SirNik83
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD, Custom Paint Job, MR2 Wheels, Pistol Grip Shifter

Post by SirNik83 »

my dad parted out a 2WD hatch back when i was a kid. he kept the front struts. the struts are is great shape because the hatch back was roled with only 60thousent miles on it. so i'm going to put the struts into my car. but they are a little over an inch shorter. i don't know how this will effect the cars handeling. i'm hoping that the lower front end will make the car corner better. i'll find out this weekend.
My first car was a Tercel, and I'm still driving a Tercel, some people say I need an Intervention.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

SirNik83 wrote: my dad parted out a 2WD hatch back when i was a kid. he kept the front struts. the struts are is great shape because the hatch back was roled with only 60thousent miles on it. so i'm going to put the struts into my car. but they are a little over an inch shorter. i don't know how this will effect the cars handeling. i'm hoping that the lower front end will make the car corner better. i'll find out this weekend.
tell me how that goes, i wouldn;t mind dropping my tercel about an inch...
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
SirNik83
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD, Custom Paint Job, MR2 Wheels, Pistol Grip Shifter

Post by SirNik83 »

the new struts fit perfectly. when i stand on the front bumer and bottom out the front strut the tire is only like an inch from the finder. i do have a little bit bigger tire (14" wheels). i did the work at my dads house this weekend. chenged the struts and installed new frount drive axles. i made the drive home from my dads house and pushed the car pretty hard through the mountians between his house in Cear Lake and Sacramento, and the car handeled great. i don't know if its because of the new bigger tires or the struts. because i got the new tires and then leter that day i had a CV boot blow. so i have't pushed the car hard until now that i've installed the new axle. but it drove alot better then before all of the changes.

now the only problems i've got now is that when i turn left it makes a sraping sounds some times. i think its the rock sheild on the break rotor. it think its rubbing the rotor. i hit it with a hammer on accdent whilt trying to bust the steering arm ball join. i bent it back witha screw driver and plyers but ithink its still scraping... but only when i turn left... that seems weird to me. o well i'll have to look into it soon.
My first car was a Tercel, and I'm still driving a Tercel, some people say I need an Intervention.
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

I have the 1 3/4" inch tubes and they ARE rebuildable. It does take a little work to yank out the old cartridge, and the selection of new inserts is probably pretty limited, but they work.

Got my inserts at Napa. They were about $36 each.