Water cleaning of combustion chamber (unwanted)

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Water cleaning of combustion chamber (unwanted)

Post by splatterdog »

I was skeptical at first. Much to the dismay of my former boss, I called it a fancy seafoam machine. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is geared more toward fuel injection, also make a superior tool for pressure/flow and bleed down testing. A pressure can on the fuel rail is so early 90's, not to mention service ports are becoming much less common. Plus what about the return line, going to pinch off a nylon hose? With the motorvac you let it run before starting the engine. This will clean the inlet screens, sending dirt to the filter on the machine(unless it's returnless). When running, the detergent is working until it hits the exhaust.The vacuum increase comes from carbon removal of rings and valves, and the increase of airflow if the intake valves are gunked up. I've also had dead misses go away during the process. Fixed a rough idle on a carbed corolla once too. Had to rev it then choke it immediately to help pull the detergent thru the idle circuit. As far as combustion chamber deposits on a T4 with no carb problems, old school methods are just fine.

Yes, it would be a bit much of a machine for the average car owner, especially with an old T4. I paid a G for mine in near new condition. Also bought a backup early style machine for a hundo. The only thing a pressure can is good for is for use with an S sprayer. Those clamp under the intake boot and fog it down at the throttle body. Good for induction,combustion chamber but does nothing for injectors.

Improper use of anything with gasoline often does end with fire. The machine shuts down at the first sign of pressure loss, so those guys starting fires were probably asking for it.

F scotty kilmer!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

well you describ actually some very different functions worthy of considerations in a FI car. I still to do not see the "vac" function, but recirculating cleaner through out the EFI system is something that a home mechanic can not do very easy.

And I can see the benefit to the car, no question about it, but with a carb the old seafoam treatment would be almost as good. We did it with Gumout, but it amounts to the same thing, pour it down the throat of a running engine until it dies, let is sit over night, and than start it up to blow it all out.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

splatterdog wrote:F scotty kilmer!
agreed
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

be nice! he is entertaining at least.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Petros wrote: I still to do not see the "vac" function.
Motorvac is just a name. No vacuum is applied to the engine/fuel system(except for purging, to fully release pressure before unhooking lines). It is measured during the process, and its increase is a good indication on how well the engine liked it. A clean engine pumps air better. Almost all engines gain .5 inches of vacuum at idle after cleaning, some as much as 2. Those are the ones that make people say "it's like a new car!"