Testing the backup light switch...

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

My backup light quit working last summer...I think. Been trying to fix it ever since. Have tested the bulb and have no current to it.

what I know....

* the backup switch (BULS) is on the right side of the trans...the 4WD switch is on the left...higher up and to the back.

* the BULS also has a connector right on top of the trans.

* the wires from both these switches goes from the trans to the fuse box (rectangular black box behind the battery)....coming out from the trans between the engine and the master cylinder.

* there are 3 wires wrapped in tape and in a plastic tube...the BULS wires are yellow and red with blue stripe...the 4WD wire is red.

* there is a connector in front of the master cylinder and at the end of the fuse box....

...the white blur is one end of the connector...the other is barely visible behind the black wire bundle just to the right.

** after making sure the trans is in reverse....you can test the continuity of the wires going back to the switch by using an ohm-meter on the two end connections coming from the BULS wires. My current switch/wires/connector fails this test.

The switch/wires/connector on my spare trans passes.

I need to test at the switch itself though.

Problem:

* how to remove the switch without using a special socket....how to disconnect the connx on top the trans to replace the switch?

Solution:

* after testing the switch itself to be sure it is defective...cut the wires to the switch close enough to the switch so that a regular socket or open end wrench can be used?...remove the switch...install the new (used) switch leaving enough wire on it to solder them...using shrink wrap etc...to insulate. Bypasses the whole connector on top the trans and removing the #%$^@*& switch problem.

?? still have those pesky wires coming off from the side...might have to use an open end wrench or grind a slot in a socket??

....damn I'm smart...or somebody already posted this idea...now I gotta do the work..... <_<

----------------------------------------------------------

he gets even smarter.....

* found that by pulling the wire attached to the switch...you can loosen the wires and connx on top the trans enough to get to the connx and undo it.

...here's a pic of the top of the trans (back of trans is at top)...back up light switch at bottom left down on the side...4WD at top right down on side....(2) connxs you can see on top....wires going to lower right go the the fusebox behind the battery....

...there are two clips on top of the trans that hold the wires...pulling the wires down un-does them....

Found the connx was cracked....probably from offroading...though trans mount seems OK...pretty flexible though.

Pulled it apart and tested the switch and found it is bad.

Since I'll lose most of the trans oil if I take it out...the job will have to wait till I do the front axle seals.

Think I've gotten this far before.....?

Have a good used switch now though.

Seems it will take a 27mm open end wrench?

Bought one and got the switch off the spare trans...not a pipe thread...if you can break it loose...it's out.

Now to see if the one in the trans will come out....

This repair might actually get done some time this year....no reason to get in a hurry? :D

----

Got the switch out using the 27 mm open end...it's a slop fit but if you can break it lose...it will come out by hand.

Actually replaced it with the oil still in the trans....used a catch pan...old one out...new one in....wasn't much fun...but was doable. Oil in the face...some in the pan.

Forgot the alum washer...there was one on the switch from the spare trans, but didn't see it since it was stuck on the alum trans housing...the old one came off with the washer on it...didn't see it either.

Did use some gasket goop on the threads though.

Stuffed the connector up over the trans and hope it stays up there and off the exhaust.

Works OK now...not too sure how long it will work with it actuating too far...washer is about 1/16" thick.

Might be easier to just open the window and yell "get the $%&$% hell out of the way...I'm a backin' up"!
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...