Access Holes - Front Lower Control Arms

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Access Holes - Front Lower Control Arms

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well, Thanks to member DanT, I have found those hitherto-overlooked access holes for the captive nuts for the long control arm bolts; see the photo.
Since no one prior to DanT had ever mentioned these, I thought the nuts were hermetically sealed in the body at the factory - Wrong!
I would emphatically suggest that anyone removing the control arms remove these covers and shoot the juice to the threads. It would have saved moi a lot of worry when I nearly boogered the threads in one of the bolts.*

While I labeled the smaller plug as for an access hole, it is in actuality too far back for the nut; use the larger hole.
Tom M.
* See https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 67&p=24929

> Left-click to enlarge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Access Holes - Front Lower Control Arms

Post by splatterdog »

Might not be a bad idea to "juice" that whole compartment now and then. Gotta make sure the bolt has something it can hold on to later..
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

Looks like a nice rust accumulator to me! Lol Juice it good!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

Rust accumulator indeed! I just finished this operation on Terc II. Control arm bolts on both sides had rusted so much they were one with the inner bushing tube. I ended up cutting them out with a Reciprocating Saw (it took an entire 5 pack of blades to get through the Grade 10 Japanese bolts). It's good to know that I could drive over an active volcano, the tires may burn off and the gas tank may explode, but those control arm bolts ain't meltin' for nothin' !!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.