Testing a Catalytic Converter

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Testing a Catalytic Converter

Post by splatterdog »

The Mityvac hand pump does come in metal too. And also in a vacuum/pressure model. The Harbor freight brand pressure/vac gauge is plenty for the casual user

Not too sure about that Scotty guy. His vids seem like a hilbilly infomercial. Auto tech forums are none too kind either. Everyone at IATN got a kick about washing out a bad(not plugged) cat for a P0420 code. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE He says he's been doing this for 30 years. I didn't know we had p0420 codes before 1996.

Then, on another vid about replacing a bad cat, he didn't mention that the aftermarket cat he put on will likely only keep the code away a year or so as those cheap cats also have much less active ingredients than OE.

I'm amazed he made it this far on beat up jacks and no stands!

DLB- Ouch! Seen something similar once. A drunken friend just had to wrestle a tree branch into a fire. It fought back and puntured his eye socket too, not as bad though. Myself, I've had metal, rust, torch/welding slag, a screwdriver tip, melted undercoating, aerosol sprays, lubricants, and probably a few other things in my eyes. With and without eye protection. The most painfull thing by far was a gnarly chunk of freshly cut big toenail!
Last edited by splatterdog on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

this begs the question: how the hell did you get a cut toenail in your eye? wait, i want to guess: did it go flying when you clipped it? that happens sometimes, gross little fungus rockets.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Geez - what kind of toenails do you guys up in the Border +/- breed? I'm imagining Sasquatch-style nails! Do you use 'em in BC to grub for worms and in MN to dig holes in the frozen lakes for fishing holes?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Size 13 qualify for sasquatch? :D I'm not sure if it ricochet'd or went direct, it was just instant horrible pain and tear gushing. My big nails require a pliers type clipper, which does send them flying. At least it got stuck under the lower lid, thats always easier to deal with. The only thing my toenails do is make me squint a lot more. :D I should be wearing my safety glasses I guess...

BTW- This little tool has saved me lots of trips to the doctor.http://www.labsafety.com/eye-loop-and-m ... eye%2bloop
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

this is getting awful far off topic for a repair guides thread. And you guys are really grossing me out, my eyes are twitching just reading this stuff. Knock it off please!!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)