Manual Transmission Removal and Re-Installation

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Re: Manual Transmission Removal and Re-Installation

Post by gnarnold »

One question I have for this thread is you never specified what to do with the 8 turn bolt do you tighten it back up after the oil drains out or leave it loose til you done putting the new oil in then tighten it
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

leave loose until done refilling
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Thank you sir .and since I have you here ,I got this sound have had it for awhile coming from rear drivers side wheel when I apply the brakes hard.it isn't a constant noise just when I have to stop in a hurry .it sounds almost like a jake brake if you know what I mean
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

I will start a new thread sorry
Ricky2marin
My tercel:: Toyota Corolla II

Post by Ricky2marin »

Petros wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:35 pm Another method I have found works is to put it in by hand as far as possible (make sure the spline is engaged by rotating it back and fourth), than put a large screw driver or rod in the groove around the inner cv joint body (it should be at the edge closest to the diff housing) holding at about a 45 degree angle. Than drive with a hammer to push the spline shaft into the diff. When everything is lined up it should just pop into place.

There is a spring clip in the end of the spline shaft that has to be compressed so it slides into the diff, it sometimes helps to put some grease for ball joints on this clip and the splines (also grease up the seals). You just have to drive it in hard enough to get the clip to pop into its groove.

I have noticed that some brands of shaft do not have this groove, but that is not a very common type (DLB method above should work for those). Be careful you do not damage the boots doing this. IF in doubt wrap them with heavy duck tape when pounding on it, and remove when done. I just hate to hammer on the end of the axle, all the force is driven through both CV joints, and the risk of damaging the threaded end of the axle.

Good luck, you are almost done.
It's a very useful observation by you. Thanks for sharing. Now my question is, in case of no longer use will it leave behind no oily residue And is it confers water resistance??
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Hi Ricky,

not sure what you are asking about with "in case of no longer use will it leave behind no oily residue And is it confers water resistance??"

could you elaborate? what is "it"? Please explain, I need more detail.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Is ricky2marin a low-grade spammer? Of their two posts, each one has a link to something. It's not the usual gibberish we see in spam here but it is very suspicious.

I vote to ban ricky2marin.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Peculiar for sure, I will send them an email requesting a reply. If none is received in a few days, we can ban the username.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain