Prothane bushings for Manual steering rack

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Prothane bushings for Manual steering rack

Post by SynthDesign »

In the process of swapping to a manual rack in my 85 T4WD, I was able to do a bit of comparison between other Toyota models.

Prothane's Poly manual rack mounts, part #18-702-BL, which are compatible with AW11 MR2s and AE86 Corollas also work in Al25 and Al21 Tercels. You can get them for less than $10, where as the factory Toyota replacements are over $35 at cost. They fit nice and tight, no play or binding. I won't have a chance to drive it for a bit but it looks very promising. :D

Installation is pretty straight forward after getting the rack out. Clean everything Very well. I recommend lubing the bushings inside and out with Prothane's Poly-grease. It'll keep the Poly bushings from chirping when they get covered in mud and gunk down the line. Wipe off excess after install and clean with rubbing alcohol. That stuff is sticky!
IMG_0009 (2).JPG
IMG_0012 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
CMB
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Sr5 5spd

Re: Prothane bushings for Manual steering rack

Post by CMB »

Good info. I was thinking of making the swap to a manual rack at some point. Will be a learning process when I get there. Never really messed with steering system outside of replacing a PS pump and adjusting alignment. Is the gearing different in manual rack?
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Re: Prothane bushings for Manual steering rack

Post by SynthDesign »

CMB wrote: Is the gearing different in manual rack?
Good question. I didn't really think of that. I'm pretty sure I can find a Quaife short ratio kit that would work in it reducing to 2.5 turns lock to lock.

Hardest problem I ran into was finding the proper universal joint to go along with my adjustable steering column. Problem solved using welder and a a piece of steel round tube and extending the shaft and utilizing an aw11 universal joint.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody