rear tailshaft housing seal & tranny fluid flush

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: rear tailshaft housing seal & tranny fluid flush

Post by dlb »

the spilled gear oil had less to do with what i was using and more to do with this being my first time ever doing a trans flush. and had i been smarter at the time, i would have taken a clean 4 L oil jug, cut the bottom off of it, threaded the hose extension onto it, and used that as a funnel. that's what i did the second time around and it worked great.
gmeddy
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 83, SR5

Post by gmeddy »

So I got my new seal yesterday, and put the Tercel up on jacks to attack the Job.
But I became a little unsure about the real origin of the oil leak...

it looks like there is oil coming from the rear seal, but then again...

Up in front of the tailshaft housing, it is very oily also, around where the 4wd selector lever go's into the GB.
what do you think?
Is there a seal there that could be leaking lots of oil out like this?

there is oil all dripping from the whole underbelly, this is the right hand side passenger foot-well.

I got the new seal in and had it all put back together in an hour. pretty good going I reckon.

the new seal went in pretty easy, I was able to push it all the way in just with my thumb, almost all the way, just about 2 mm left to tap in with the hammer.
maybe because my GB was still hot, and the new seal was not.

the tail shaft bolts near the uni were easy to undo, Just put the Hand Brake on nice and tight, and then undo the nut.
Trying to do it with two spanners without the Hand Brake on was too hard, and I was ending up stripping the bolt head. (made worse because I didn't have two spanners the rights size, one was a shifting spanner...)
the uni joints seemed nice and tight still.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I think the 4WD selector shaft going into the trans leaks on most of our cars. I took a clue from takza's remedy and wrapped the area leading into the trans tightly with twine. That stopped most of it. It can be fixed, but most easily with the trans out of the car.
Unless the seal is totally shot (and the shaft wobbles around in its hole), I would not think that would be the source of the oil you show - that's a lot!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

ARCHINSTL wrote:I think the 4WD selector shaft going into the trans leaks on most of our cars. I took a clue from takza's remedy and wrapped the area leading into the trans tightly with twine. That stopped most of it. It can be fixed, but most easily with the trans out of the car.
Unless the seal is totally shot (and the shaft wobbles around in its hole), I would not think that would be the source of the oil you show - that's a lot!
Tom M.
Actually my 4wd selector shaft seal leaked a little bit for a long time and then became a gusher in a very short period of time.
I was on the road and got lucky and found a tech at a Toyota dealership that was very familiar with our cars. It cost me a little over $100 for the seal and labor. I was happy to pay it, no way it was an easy job with the tranny assy in the car.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

A-HA!
Thanks for pointing that out! Another place to keep an eye on!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
copenhagenfiend
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 SR5 4WD

Post by copenhagenfiend »

I strongly recommend rolling around on a creeper and using that lil pump at least once.. trust me - you will FOR SURE invent a better way for your next flush!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3921818/1986-toyota-

*1986 Toyota Tercel SR5* again!
1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5
1990 Jeep Wrangler

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/ ... cel%204WD/
BrownBadger
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD Tercel SR5 - The Brown Badger

Post by BrownBadger »

Does anyone have any tips for getting the output shaft dust shield off? I am having a hell of a time. It looks like there might be a little rust between the shield and the trans. I have sprayed it down with PB blaster, used a hammer, preyed with a screwdriver, used heat, etc., but NO LUCK. It doesn't help that my CAT had the air tube running right past this area.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

It just slips off, there is nothing holding it on but friction. If it has corrosion holding than the only thing you can do is beat it off with a soft hammer. Try soaking in ATF (auto trans fluid), it works well on corroded parts, better than anything else known to the human race in fact.

After soaking in ATF you might make a wood "chisel" and alternately pound it off first on one side than the other. that should work it loose. Try to push it straight back evenly from both sides. If it gets "cocked" it will bind even worse.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

BrownBadger wrote:Does anyone have any tips for getting the output shaft dust shield off? I am having a hell of a time. It looks like there might be a little rust between the shield and the trans. I have sprayed it down with PB blaster, used a hammer, preyed with a screwdriver, used heat, etc., but NO LUCK. It doesn't help that my CAT had the air tube running right past this area.
When you are dealing with an aluminum to steel corrosion issue I would suggest that you clean up the area with denatured alcohol to get as much of the oil off as possible. Then use household ammonia directly on the corroded area.

It is an old bicycle mechanic's trick to aid in removing an aluminum seat post that is frozen in a steel frame.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

4wdchico wrote:
BrownBadger wrote:Does anyone have any tips for getting the output shaft dust shield off? I am having a hell of a time. It looks like there might be a little rust between the shield and the trans. I have sprayed it down with PB blaster, used a hammer, preyed with a screwdriver, used heat, etc., but NO LUCK. It doesn't help that my CAT had the air tube running right past this area.
When you are dealing with an aluminum to steel corrosion issue I would suggest that you clean up the area with denatured alcohol to get as much of the oil off as possible. Then use household ammonia directly on the corroded area.
It is an old bicycle mechanic's trick to aid in removing an aluminum seat post that is frozen in a steel frame.
As an old bicycle mechanic - I agree!
We used to run into this frequently way back when - particularly on BMX frames.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
BrownBadger
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD Tercel SR5 - The Brown Badger

Post by BrownBadger »

Tried the ammonia, still no luck. Next step is to try some high head gas. After that I have an idea which might get it off but ruin the shield in the process. Does anybody have a spare dust shield sitting around they would be willing to send me if I do bugger it up?