Replace Heater Core

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Re: Replace Heater Core

Post by SynthDesign »

takza wrote:
hberdan wrote:Great Info! I've been putting this repair off for a couple of years. Now I have no excuse!
By the time you've finished you'll wish you had found one? :roll:
EXACTLY!
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

Yeehaa! I did this! The instructions are almost perfect. It is very tedious, and like sdoan, it took a full 8 hours, and maybe a couple more overall, since I spent some time washing and cleaning all the dashboard panels and trim that I removed, to get out 24 years of dust and debris. The old heater core seemed to be the original one, and the old heater hoses had to be removed by cutting with a razor knife--the hoses were virtually welded to the inlets and outlets--then replaced with new hoses and clamps. I also used various thicknesses of foam insulation tape, depending on which duct I was installing--not only the previously mentioned 1/4x3/4 tape, but 3/16x1/2 came in handy on the various r/l ducts. This old plastic ductwork seems pretty fragile (or friable), so I didn't want to force too much of a fit on some.
And thanks to Petros, (who also provided the core), I replaced the heater control panel and cables, as my old one had broken. Fwiw, it was much easier to remove and install the heater core without the control panel hanging in front--since I was going to replace the old one anyway, I just detached the cables at their far ends, the electrical connector for the fan switch, and removed the entire mess. There is a second connector in ther if you have AC. I installed the new panel after getting the heater unit in place, and then threaded all the cables and connectors, etc.
Still, very tedious work on your back, or sideways, working under that dash. My dash and interior are all black, which caused some low light problems until I got my headlamp outta my rucksack.
Be sure and pay strict attention to the routing of the cables, and take care to properly install the door lever onto the drivers back side of the main duct.
As an added bonus, while I was under the dash, I REMOVED the darn seat belt and door buzzer. Nice. It's not necessarily something to recommend if you are prone to accidentally leaving your keys in the ignition, however.
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

Thanks for the write up, I'm in the middle of this operation now, cleaning mouse nest and 26 years of patina out of all the air ducts. For some reason the pics for the original post don't show on my end. Is this a setting I missed somewhere?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

the pics don't show up because they were hosted by an old server for the forum. once the server changed, all those photos were lost. it's a bummer.
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

Managed to edit the original post to replace the photo links so that the photos are visible again. Hope you find this helpful.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Thank's for taking the time to repost the photo's.
My second tercel was 400 dollars needed a tranny and the duct work including the new heater core was piled up in the back of the car. Not knowing how it came apart it took me all day to puzzle pice it back together.
I actually enjoyed the challenge but recall my gut and neck killing me the next day from sitting cockeyed all day in the car :lol:
All these photos would been very helpful
Last edited by Gottolovem on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

PROPS, Sean - Thanks!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I made the horrific mistake of taking on this job. I just finished, and I'd never do it again. It was actually more frustrating than removing/rebuilding/replacing my automatic transmission. It took me about 4 days (working a few hours a day). I had to re-weld the steel heat control lever since it broke in half (one of the reasons I decided to start this job). I spent all day today trying to align all the control wires/flaps/levers/ It now sort-of works.
Never again!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

So, it looks like it is my turn to have fun. I was feeling pretty good about things (thanks to sdoan, wow!) AND then Mark throws cold water on me :D :D I've been trying to make time to do some frame/floor pan rust repairs as well, after viewing the pics, it seems like mission creep before I even start, needed regardless. Unfortunately we are supposed to be getting our first snow/ice combo today/tomorrow and I will probably be in my boss' 4WD work truck instead of the Rusty Frog :x. Oh well, it's early, I'm sure we'll get some more winter precip down the line.

I'm going to try and get a new heater control valve cable as well. It wouldn't be bad to have it adjustable from inside the car, though I know it isn't necessary Tom :lol:. Thanks again to sdoan for sharing and Tom for linking this. Great help.

Chris

PS - I did start in the OM, but didn't find the right section (if there is one).
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
grouchytom
My tercel:: 87 SR5 Wagon

Post by grouchytom »

Thank you for the write up. Still sucked but at least you showed me the headache I was undertaking. Petros is right AC makes it more difficult!!
grouchytom
My tercel:: 87 SR5 Wagon

Post by grouchytom »

Thanks for the write up really helped. Petros is right AC makes it more difficult. Still sucked but now have heat mama is happy so guess it was worth the headache. Thanks again!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I am just getting my daily driver back together (with a rebuilt engine), including replacing the heater core. I also took out the whole dash to repair it (my tercel was stolen a few years ago, when I got it back, missing my tool bag, the battery and a few other items), the thief tried to help himself to my inclinometer by pulling on it hard, and only succeeded in bending the mounts and pulling the forward edge of the padded dash off (breaking some of the plastic clips). So I pulled it all apart to fix the bent/damaged dash mounts.

something else I discovered, there is NO section in the FSM for replacing the heater core!!! how could they leave that out?

They do have one for replacing the dash pad (not very detailed, but it is at least there). It has been several months since I pulled my dash apart, now I can not seem to remember how/in what order, all the detail pieces go back into it. I am afraid I will get it mostly back together and discover a strut or duct than can only go into place with the dash off of it. This thread, with the pictures is useful, but it does not go into removing the whole dash.

So much important information missing from the FSM. they also have odd names for the parts, they call the dash board a "pad".
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)