How to keep track of lost coolant...looking for leaks...

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

How to keep track of lost coolant...looking for leaks...

Post by takza »

So if your coolant is disappearing and you don't really know how much...here's a way to find out.

* Remove the coolant tank....use a garden hose to clean out the inside and remove any dirt or sludge....and possibly stop leak residue.

* Make sure there is a tube to the bottom of the tank.

* Check the hose to the rad for stoppages...make sure water will flow thru it OK.

* Replace the radiator cap if you are doubtful about it.

* Put it all back together using good clamps on the hose ends.

* Fill the coolant tank with 50/50 antifreeze mix.

* Drive the car a few times to allow the coolant level to stabilize....then when the car has sat overnight use a permanent marker to mark the coolant level EXACTLY on the side of the tank...you might want to adjust the level 1st...to be near where it should be.

* Now any time the car has sat overnight...you can at a glance see how much coolant has been lost. The reason for doing these things is that you can loose significant coolant through these various parts....especially if they are plugged or not sealing right.

Want to know WHY you are loosing the coolant? Well...good luck! :mrgreen:

See below....

* Start the car after it has sat overnight...allowing it to warm up some(you might need to drive it a short way), but not up to the 1/2 point on the gauge...you are looking for the point where the coolant is hot and somewhat pressurized...but where it also will not evaporate where it leaks. You then stop the engine and LOOK for leaks using a good flashlight or drop light.

* Check the radiator...radiator hoses...heater hoses...around the thermostat area(gasket...the tube below it...sending units, etc)....along the headgasket seam....waterpump area (which is under the t-belt cover)....

* Tighten ALL radiator/heater hose clamps.

* Make sure your rad cap is good and has no debris on the rubber sealing surfaces.

* Try to remember IF you have any coolant smell inside the car.

Now you'll need to watch your coolant level for a few days...if it isn't going down much or at all...maybe you fixed something.

One test for a headgasket leak is to start the car up after sitting overnight...remove the rad cap and look for a stream of bubbles...this would indicate an exhaust into coolant leak....could try retorquing the head gasket bolts????

Sometimes a slight leak can be stopped using BarsLeak coolant stopleak....though it will leave an oily residue and mess in your coolant tank...I've never seen it cause real problems.

As far as using a block seal/head gasket sealer....I'm doubting these work...but they apparently sell a lot of it to people like myself who can't stand the thought of a headgasket repair. These usually contain water glass or sodium silicate...which is water soluable and which turns hard when exposed to air and where the water evaporates. Sometimes the prices are real close to absurd.
Last edited by takza on Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Re: How to keep track of lost coolant...looking for leaks...

Post by deejay1272 »

takza wrote:As far as using a block seal/head gasket sealer....I'm doubting these work...but they apparently sell a lot of it to people like myself who can't stand the thought of a headgasket repair. These usually contain water glass or sodium silicate...which is water soluable and which turns hard when exposed to air and where the water evaporates. Sometimes the prices are real close to absurd.
Sounds like you and I may be in the same boat here soon (head gasket replacement). PM me if you want to put heads together to talk about logistics of this job. I've never done anything this involved in the past so this could be interesting!
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I've been running my car for around 70K miles and SO FAR the head gasket seems to be intact....I've always run some BarsLeaks in it as insurance. In fact I added some more last summer when the tube below the thermostat started to leak at one end...actually stopped the leak.

If you think you have a head gasket problem...don't let me keep you from trying a block seal...might work...IF...you follow the instruction explicitly? The head gasket isn't supposed to be that much of a job...IF...that's all you do and take the head off along with the manifolds.

Petros is the man to talk to about head gaskets....has some good writeups.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

takza wrote:The head gasket isn't supposed to be that much of a job...IF...that's all you do and take the head off along with the manifolds.
I'm in the early stages of planning to remove the head, check to see if the head is warped, clean the cylinder heads, clean the valves, clean all the gasket material from the head/block and simply reassemble. Sounds easy enough, but I'm curious to know if there's anything that I should plan to do while I'm in there. It isn't often that you get to see the inside of your engine so I want to take full advantage of this opportunity while I'm in there. Does anyone have recommendations for other jobs I should plan to do while I'm in there already?
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die