Revised Redline / Weber Air Cleaner Element

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Revised Redline / Weber Air Cleaner Element

Post by ARCHINSTL »

OK - as noted in several posts over the last two years, when I installed the Weber, I retained the stock phenolic spacer with the heating element under the carb adapter plate. To gain some clearance I Dremelled away part of the hood brace and put some soft rubber strips on top of the air cleaner "box.". All has been fine until two nights ago.
Suddenly, at idle plus a bit, a knocking was heard - it took a longer time to track down than I am proud to admit - but - for who-knows-why, the air cleaner top was now vibrating against the hood, even with the rubber strips.

So, tiring of it all, I took a cue from OZ member gmeddy (inactive for a long time) and cut away about 3/8" of the element with the handy Dremel using one of the fibreglass reinforced wheels (a real mess - don't do it in the kitchen and WEAR EYE PROTECTION - IMPORTANT!). I wrapped around the element with a strip of masking tape and used that as a guide. I cut along the top of a rubber base strip and then cut 3/8" from the balance of the element. I then used some black Permatex RTV to attache the original top and let it set overnight. It came out pretty nice.

It's now about 1 1/2" high instead of the original 1 7/8" - but it clears nicely (with the needed cut-away portion of the brace, mind).
I detected no difference in performance - or even sound - on the highways and byways today.
I'd suggest doing it right off the bat.
Tom M.
EDIT - Frankly, if you are running the OE phenolic spacer, I don't know how the short Redline cleaner can clear any of our hoods without removing part of the brace - even with my element shortening - well, short of cutting the element down to maybe 3/4".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
TominMO
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Re: Revised Redline / Weber Air Cleaner Element

Post by TominMO »

I remember reading here that the reason people use the phenolic spacer is that the studs that come with the Weber kit, to mount the adaptor to the intake manifold, are too long. Why not just cut down the studs, chase 'em with a die, and ditch the spacer?
1986 4WD Tercel, formerly gold, now camo
1995 Ford Aspire SE, MPG development car, shooting for 65 MPG hwy
1990 Ford Festiva, mild motor swap, HP development car
The other Tom M. in STL w/a gold 1986 SR5--from the universe where Spock has a goatee
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I thought about doing just that (shortening and then cutting new threads - not chasing), but wanted to retain the phenolic heating element spacer for Winter time.
While OT, the Redline adapter was a PITA, due to slightly off-center holes - I also had to smooth the casting with emery cloth on a smooth surface.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

TominMO wrote:I remember reading here that the reason people use the phenolic spacer is that the studs that come with the Weber kit, to mount the adaptor to the intake manifold, are too long. Why not just cut down the studs, chase 'em with a die, and ditch the spacer?
some people keep the spacer so that they don't have to mod the EGR port to take the PCV hose. i think most people have removed it though. i tried both ways but that was a few years ago and i don't remember where i had the shorter studs from. but yes, you certainly could trim the studs and chase the threads.