Couple of Weber Questions

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Couple of Weber Questions

Post by danzo »

Soon deejay and I will be swapping in Weber 32/36 DGEV carbs and I am hoping to get a few pointers from those who have done it. Thanks in advance!

- Is there a decent weber shop manual? "Weber Carburettors Tuning Tips and Techniques" by John Passini looks promising. I really wanted one that includes tuning via the O2 sensor.

- Good source for a jet kit? Not sure what my new carb has in it, but of course I wanted to be able to tune it.

I can't think of anything else right now, but I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Please don't be shy with any words o' wisdom.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Couple of Weber Questions

Post by dlb »

be sure to check for hood clearance before you bolt it down. as for the rest of it, it's pretty straight forward. and it's soooooo nice to get rid of that stupid space ship air filter housing and mess of vacuum hoses. i finally just completely removed my EGR and did the EGR-to-PCV conversion so that my PCV system is at last connected properly.
danzo
Highest Ranking Member

Post by danzo »

I'm definitely looking forward to getting rid of the stock carb garbage and bolting on some "webbery goodness" (credit: splatter). In the past few weeks my cursed cronic pinging has returned and hopefully the swap will eliminate this. Even in 50* ambient temps at night it persists, and it pains me to drive the car like this. My intake heater override did not fail, I backed off the timing, there are still no vaccuum leaks and none of these did any good so I'm really hoping the weber does the trick. I also found a local machine shop that will remachine my extra cam for 40 bucks, which will give me a good excuse to replace the cam 'n' crank seals which now leak profusely.

Regarding hood clearance, I ordered the short filter kit with the carb so hopefully I'll be OK. I plan on eliminating the nonsense heater plate (useless in TX) so it should clear. Worse case scenario is adjusting the hood up a bit. Since I have two hoods I might even make a ridiculous 'ram air' setup. I'm picturing a huge PVC pipe directly connected to the carb protruding through a hole in the hood, sans filter. Great dragstrip/autocross fodder.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Short air cleaner and no spacer clears the hood no problem. I added the thinner heat spacer that goes between the adapter and weber that's available(7mm I believe) and still clear.

Do you have access to a welder? Helps when reusing the stock throttle crank which I highly recommend as the weber crank is flimsy.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

As to the linkage - https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... san#p33319
I used the stock phenolic plate/PCV set up and did have to Dremel away the hood brace immediately over the (short) air cleaner. There is still -0- clearance, so I put a couple of pieces of thin rubber insulation on the cleaner.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I knew I should have taken some throttle pics..

Tom- your throttle set up is not the way I would recommend. All the conversion linkage should be thrown away. Cutting the end of the throttle cable is avoided too.To use the stock crank, the piece behind the bell crank needs to be reused. That has the back to back double D hole and fits the weber throttle shaft perfect and in perfect position. It is also way thicker than the kit crank. Only the center of it needs to be used. The arms that protrude from it for linkage rods need to be removed and then what's left welded to the bell crank while temporarily set up back on the OE carb in it's normal position. Fits like a glove that way.

I would be happy to do the mod for only the cost of postage if anyone want to send their pieces to me. Otherwise, it could be easily set up by anyone of you that has a hacksaw and a muffler shop in town. That's usually the cheapest place for a quick weld. Back in my muffler shop days, something like that would cost about $10 or maybe a twelve pack.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Hmm - well, it works fine for me. Everything is in alignment, I did not have to bend the cablestop bracket, or cut the OE throttle cable.
What am I missing? Note that I am not being facetious here.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

danzo wrote:- Good source for a jet kit? Not sure what my new carb has in it, but of course I wanted to be able to tune it.
This is one source for jets: http://www.racetep.com/rebuildrejet.html. They can put together a kit based on your mods, or you can buy a kit with several for you to choose from: http://www.racetep.com/webjetkit.html.

I do plan to run a Weber in at least one of my cars (and of course swapping it out every other year for smog check). I will have to look into some of this stuff too so I'm glad that these things are being discussed.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
danzo
Highest Ranking Member

Post by danzo »

Thanks for the tips everyone! Splatter I may take you up on your linkage mod offer, complete with 12 pack cruising your direction. What spacer did you use? The goal is for this to be a "once and done" install, though I understand a few screws will need to be turned by and by.

I was hoping to get a few extra jets for cheap, but it looks like the cheapest kit is circa 60 bucks. Might just check my local VW shop that does Webers.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Out of box performance aint bad.
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

So I got a head start on my Weber install last night (finally). After removing the mess of vacuum lines and getting to the bare intake manifold, I noticed a few things that gave me pause:

1) The PCV line output connects to the base of the carb through a black spacer. It seems like I should definitely keep this so I have a place for my PCV hose. If I do keep this I'll need to purchase a new gasket to go between the intake manifold and this black spacer thingy (the old one was toast). Anyone know if I'll run into space/hood clearance problems if I keep this? Also, I don't see any information about this spacer in the FSM. Please advise!

2) Connected to the base of the black spacer thing is a short, relatively wide cylinder that is connected to some electrical wires. This cylinder fits nicely into the base of the black spacer and looks like it may be important. Once again - I can't find any info about this in the FSM. Is this important to keep?

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm sure I'll come back with a few more questions before I'm finished with this job.
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

The heat insulator plate is also a heater. The wire grommet for the heater on my 84 was also a vacuum leak. It has been reported that it will not clear with it still in place. I removed it and converted the egr to pcv.

I've looked around for my extra carbs, but the one that still has the crank is buried in my shed somewhere. I was going to do a pictorial on the bellcrank reuse.

Going to have to wait unless someone send one to me.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

As splatterdog mentions, there can be a clearance problem with retaining the phenolic spacer, even with the short air cleaner. I chose to retain the spacer, as I thought the heater in it would help in the Winter. Does it? Candidly, I don't know... As mentioned, I cut away the part of the hood bracing immediately above the air cleaner - no probs.
I think the biggest reason I retained the spacer, though, is that without it, the OE studs would not work - too long and would interfere with the Redline adapter. I don't recall others mentioning this, so maybe my car was an anomaly. I could have gotten new studs, but I was in a hurry...
splatterdog's routing of the PCV tube into the EGR cover plate was pretty clever.
Look at my resolution of the rear cam cover tube into the Redline air cleaner - the supplied plastic connection was a joke.
Tom M.

EDIT - did you have to monkey with the adapter holes to make them fit the manifold studs and ditto with the carb holes? I had to ream them to fit - a PITA.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

OK, I dug out the 84's carb. It was deep.

Tomorrow I will post pics on the whole stock bellcrank to weber issue as I see it.

Tom- your welderless setup is also clever. Real convenient how that cable bolt fits. But it does look just a little rickety compared to direct bolt up. The U bracket looks to add flex and it appears like the pivot point isn't quite centered to the shaft. BTW, did you use a brand spankin new crank in those pics? Looks just as new as the weber parts.

On the heater in the spacer plate- Besides the fact that the 84's plate was "toast", I didn't really like how the whole works looked down the throat of the adapter. It was a lot cleaner looking passageway without. Good/bad? I dunno. But my carb clears the hood.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I think I see what you mean - the "U" legs of the Weber adapter are not quite parallel - I forgot about this - sometime after the photo was taken I bent the "legs" a bit so they were parallel - although I did not notice any difference. Same with referring to any "ricketyness." I was just out messing with the aircleaner tonight and everything is still solid.
The Aisan bellcrank was fairly new - it came off the reman Aisan I got from National Carbs - it was about 3 years old, as I recall - dunno if new from National, though, or cleaned and replated (word?) by them.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain