Checking your float level...OEM carb..FA2000

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Checking your float level...OEM carb..FA2000

Post by takza »

Well...the Chinese are chipping people here in Tibet...if they think the wrong thought...you will see them wince a couple of times...and then a big smile comes to their face...and you can tell their pleasure center has been stimulated. So far...as an expat I've sidestepped the chips...but it's only a matter of time.

If I start waving Chinese flags and smiling a lot...you'll know they've gotten to me.

There is already an insurance company that will give you a discount if you plug a GPS based monitor into your diagnostics port and drive nice.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I have good news...and I have bad news....

* good news is that I've had a couple of tanks come in at 36 mpg....

* bad news is that the valve that controls the flow to the vaporizer keeps closing up on me...every time I've checked it after a REFILL ...there was no flow. So the 36 mpg is a new summer baseline? Have a flow meter going and am pretty sure I was at plus 40 mpg until the last 15 miles into a headwind.

Just set the flow to 1 drop per second or so...after flushing the valve again...but am collecting some gas in the secondary PCV jar...so the gas is not evaporating as fast as it enters the PCV hose. The valve might close up some in time...so I might see some results yet. :roll:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Last tank came in at 36.7 mpg....finally got the FA2000 valve to allow some gas drip....notice a bit more power also. Still need to lower the float level. This has potential...but between driving the truck and the recalcitrant valve...it takes a good while to see any results. Might just remove the top of the carb and lower that float some. Got all fall to tweak it in.....

The old MPG meter I installed was a waste of 6 hours....speed sensor doesn't work and flow meter is not consistent.

splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Decent numbers but- please,please,please ditch that pcv carb and get a weber! No experimental ideas from long ago, internet experts without a clue, investor scrounging theorists, etc...

You could have found the magic jets/air corrector combo by now and saved hours of your time and gallons of gas.

emmahumpfritter beat you by .3 mpg with an out of the box weber and a kayak on top. My peak is 34.8 mpg. But I don't drive for mileage. Driving real hard and loaded(cargo) I haven't gotten below 30.

I would've worked that 6 hours and saved for a new carb.

Of course you can do what you want!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Well I'm talking mixed mpg...more or less full tank...no tailwind boost...and this last tank I wasn't trying all that hard for mpg...since I figured it was running rich. When I have managed some gas drip...I've noticed the extra power thing before...not sure if that would go away if I manage to lean it out some more. When I get up the nerve...I'll take the top off the carb and start lowering the float....since it will be "guestimating"...I might have it off of there a few times.

Looks like the level can be dropped a fair amount?

Guess that you are saying that by messing with the jets in a Weber and leaning it out that way...you get to the same place. Not so sure...since the guy with the EFI Jeep claims at least a 15% gain while still at a at a 14.7 ratio....pretty sure my Tercel is now running somewhere like 12.0 to 1.

The MPG meter was just an add on...a 25 yr old gizmo from Singapore that I had in a bus at one time....big waste of time...and now I get to undo it.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Interesting email from Eagle Research....

" 2. I have successfully proven that gasoline engines do NOT need a throttle plate if they are running on vapor fuel (I used a modified HyCO 2A system on a 4 KW RV generator). This ONE thing would half the fuel consumption of nearly every (gasoline powered) engine on the planet. It takes a LOT of fuel to maintain the engine vacuum so that the gasoline can (partially) vaporize. It is calculated that it takes as much energy to maintain the vacuum as it takes to move a vehicle down the road at 35 mph. This is BIG!

3. We now consistently achieve 10 MMW (100% efficient) in our HyZor systems. I will be putting the instructions on how to retrofit current HyZors (A, B and C versions) to this new standard into the HyZor Resources sometime this Winter.

The REALLY exciting news is that (using a modification discovered by accident) we are now frequently reaching 20 MMW. We are working on narrowing down the parameters to keep that efficiency consistent. I'm currently having several people duplicate the technique. This will be the D version HyZor."

So...let's get busy and REMOVE those throttle plates...PEEPS! :mrgreen:

I might finally get around to doing more vaporizer testing with my wagon this fall....

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

The statements made in that email are so far off the mark it is pretty clear the author does not have a clue how a gasoline engine operates. The vacuum takes as much fuel as driving the car down the road?!?!?!?! 100 percent efficiency?!?!!? Either he lives in a parallel universe where our physics do not apply (perhaps the same place as you Takza?), or he is a first class loon, or a charlatan.

I would wager one of the last two (or both of the last two).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Is that just an opinion...or do you know less than I do? :shock:

Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

That is a fact you can take to the bank. No such thing as 100 percent efficiency, this is always an earmark of a crank. He also does not seem to know the function or roll that vacuum in the intake manifold plays on a gasoline powered car. Without a throttle you can not control the engine speed, on a diesel you do not need a throttle, speed is controlled by fuel volume, but not possible on a gasoline powered engine.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I think he is basically claiming that he is controlling engine speed by controlling the amount of vapor or vapor/air mix metered into the engine.

Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

When you throttle an engine you control power output by having a density of the intake air/fuel mixture lower. At full throttle the intake charge is at (or near) atmospheric pressure (density), to reduce the power output you reduce the pressure (or density) of the mixture in the intake manifold with the throttle. It does not take fuel to throttle an engine, it just way you control the power output. Running a low density intake mixture is how an engine is throttled.

When you change the amount fuel going into the engine without changing the amount of air, you alter the air/fuel ratio. this is true whether you have a gas vapor fuel like propane or a liquid fuel like alcohol or gasoline. You can not properly control power output by altering the fuel/air ratio on a gasoline engine, there is a very small range of air/fuel ratio where the engine will run at all, and at any fuel air ratio other than the near ideal conditions your emissions go way off the charts. Running too lean, as well as rich, drives up all the emissions, including unburned hydrocarbons, so both efficiency and economy goes down when you are too lean.

If he is controlling both the amount and air and fuel going into the engine without a throttle plate, he is just using some other means to throttle the engine, but as far as the engine is concerned, it is being throttled one way or another.

So either he does not know what he is talking about, or he is running a scam.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Eagle Research was probably close to the first to be involved in the "mpg game". I would need to buy their info or kit to know HOW they do it...then build and test to find out IF it works. I understand the points you make...but I still keep an open mind. The FA2000 I'm working with is a type of cold vapor system.

http://www.eagle-research.com/fuelsav/hcoxgy.php

splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

takza wrote:Eagle Research was probably close to the first to be involved in the "mpg game".
Looks like they are more in to the "money for nothing game". How much have you paid to play?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Being a DIY type where I had to do it all myself...I've never bought any of their info...just an EFIE. Probably my loss.

I think they were in it from the '70s or '80s...from what I hear...about the most legit.

I do want to try putting some minor vac on the float bowl (their carb enhancer?) to lean mine out some...since the feedback doesn't work. But then there is the valve that keeps closing up....

Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Some years ago the EPA investigated the claims of every gas mileage enhancer on a number of cars, including the vapor injectors. They also tried these turbulator inlet devices, engine oil additives, spark plugs, spark enhanser coils, fuel line magnets, etc. Every single one of them resulted no measurable increase when done in controlled conditions in back to back tests, some made the economy worse. The only one they liked was the meter all gave instant mpg readings to allow you to drive more carefully, but it in itself did not give better mileage of course.