Buying a Tercel 4WD Wagon....

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Buying a Tercel 4WD Wagon....

Post by takza »

This will be an ATTEMPT to list some things to look for and watch out for when buying a 4WD wagon. Anyone should feel free to ADD anything they think is important.....that I've missed.

Things you WANT to see:

* lower mileage...the lower the mileage....the less wear & tear the car has seen. These cars tend last longer than other cars though...if not abused. Generally you want to see under 200K miles...somewhere around 100K is a major find.

* previous owners....it is a good thing if the previous owners were adults who didn't like to street race or run the boonies...it does make a difference.

* lack of RUST....drivetrain components can be repaired or replaced as needed....major body rust can take a lot of work to stop...let alone repair.

* no serious accident damage.

* clean interior...more important to some than to others.

* good glass...takes some effort & $ to replace.

* good mechanical condition.

Checkpoints:

Body...exterior....

* check for any bent bumpers or sheetmetal....bumper damage CAN mean frame damage..best to look under to check for crumpled frame ends. Front fenders or front/rear doors can be replaced...sheet metal damage behind the rear doors is more difficult to repair.

* Sometimes a car will have an accident where a front wheel takes most of the impact...this can bend the frame or suspension components...usually resulting in steering problems.

* look for RUST....most likely is around the edge of the front wheel opening...rocker panels under the doors...lower edges of doors and hatches...usually if you can see any paint bubbling or actual rust..there is more damage there than meets the eye.

At times the car has been repainted below the beltline to "fix" a rust problem....using bondo...which usually doesn't last so well. You can use a magnet to test for bondoed areas...if it won't stick...it's bondo. Nothing wrong with bondo though.... if it doesn't bubble or crack.

* check the glass condition...usually the windshield will most likely have issues.... wiper scratches or stars.

* make sure all the doors/hatch/hood open & close OK. Do they lock OK?

* tires OK?

Interior....

* look for seats & carpet in good condition....door trim OK? dash in good condition?

* do the windows roll up & down?

* does the radio work?

* does the heater and/or AC work? If you smeel antifreeze (a sweet smell) when driving the car with the heater on or off...it could be a leaking heater core.

* turn signals and lights?

* speedometer & gauges work?

Mechanical....

* try to test the car when it is cold...be suspicious if the car is warmed up when you first see it....ask them not to warm it up.

* pull the dipstick to check the oil (front of engine)...a milky appearance or green droplets probably means coolant in the oil...head gasket....dirty oil means it needs to be changed.

* first thing is to start the car up cold...remove the radiator cap and look for bubbles...bubbles mean a leaking head gasket or head. Also check for any oil in the coolant....though some kinds of stop leak (the pellet type) have oil in them. If you see a kind of brownish sludge in the overflow tank...this can mean stopleak was added.

* then warm the car up and see how easy it starts and runs. Look for coolant leaks around the engine.

* when it is warmed up (temp needle in the middle)...try reving it up some using the arm at the carb...listen for any loud engine noises other than the valves...could be a rod bearing...main bearing...piston slap.

* then try to get a view of the exhaust on a non-windy day...rev the car up...usually from the driver's seat...hope you don't see blue smoke...meaning oil burning.

You might not see any significant oil smoke, but the car still might burn some oil... 1-2-3K miles per quart?

Under the car....

* look for oil leaks under the engine....you will see some oil staining...you really don't want to see oil drips...could be loose pan bolts or could be oil seals...more of a problem. Could be the valve cover gasket which usually allows oil to leak down the driver's side of the engine.

* look for oil leaks where the drive shafts exit the trans/differentials...stains OK...drips are a problem. You can also try moving these shafts where they come out to see if there is any looseness. You'll likely find some where the front axles exit the differential....the rear driveshaft shouldn't have much if any slop at all at the trans or back at the diff.

* if you can get the car up on a rack...best to pull the back filler plug and be sure the trans has a reasonable amount of oil in it. Need to loosen the rear drain plug 7-8 turns to do this right. Sometimes people forget to check the gear oil...let alone change it now and then.

Also you could pull the middle drain plug to check for metal particles...you'd want to see ONLY very fine stuff. Careful...this could get messy if you can't plug the hole while looking at the plug magnet. ;-)

* look for any serious frame damage from rocks...or frame rust...usually rocker panels or the cross frame in front of the gas tank? Front floor pans?

* is the exhaust OK?

Steering....

* check for excessive steering wheel play...shouldn't be much

* drive the car slowly over a rough surface like a lawn or gravel road...listen for clicking noises from the front...can be sloppy inner and/or outer tierod ends.

Testing on the road....

* check the brakes...does the car stop straight with no pulling to one side or grinding noises?

* does the car accelerate pretty well for a 1.5L engine? Look thru the rearview mirror for that tell tale blue smoke....

* no clunking or other odd noises over bumps?

* a lot of whirring noise at the back might be rear wheel bearings.

* does the car shift thru the gears OK...clutch operates OK...no grabbing...no slipping?

* try putting the car in 4WD and test it on and off road some....you are not looking to do a Baja run...just make sure the 4WD works OK and you can shift it OK. I don't recommend using the 4WD on hard pavement.

You do need to understand the nature of this 4WD setup...if it is in 4WD and you turn the car on hard ground...you won't be able to get it out of 4WD....until you turn it back the other way while driving it...to loosen driveline tension.

* do you notice vibrations or noises in 2WD when turning the car and accelerating....might have front axle problems.

Conclusion......no car will be perfect...some have just been neglected and will be fairly easy to get up to par....some will be in more serious condition.

Any verifiable problems you find might help you get the asking price down some.

Whether you buy the car might depend on whether you intend to do any repair work yourself...or pay someone to do it.

Since these cars are relatively hard to find...you might have to just work with what you have available.
Last edited by takza on Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Pegger
Advanced Member

Post by Pegger »

The 88 I baught recently needed the following things.

Tires
Tie rod ends / alignment
Parking brake cables
A few bulbs
The ignition switch is broken, not fixed. I can pull out the key in whatever position it is in, great to kill the battery !!!
Although I don't smell it, the gas tank has to be leaking. The first 1/2 tank gets me about 80 KMs, the secong half 250 KMs (roughly).
The 2nd ant 3rd gears are a bit grindy, I'd like to find out what the cause is.

Those have been my experiences so far. The car has 176,000 KMs, that roughly 110,000 miles.

Guy
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

As far as the gas tank issue, maybe the sensors are old and worn out, because i highly doubt it'll get crappy gas mileage the first half of the gas tank - it's usually steady
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

My fuel sender is dead. Anywhere from empty to 3/4 at any given point, even at the pump driving away from a top-off fill. Dunno if it's accurate within a gallon or so of empty... Afraid to test that out >.<
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Pegger wrote: Although I don't smell it, the gas tank has to be leaking. The first 1/2 tank gets me about 80 KMs, the secong half 250 KMs (roughly).

The 2nd ant 3rd gears are a bit grindy, I'd like to find out what the cause is.

Those have been my experiences so far. The car has 176,000 KMs, that roughly 110,000 miles.
The sending unit/gas gauge on these cars doesn't last I guess. Mine shows FULL at fillup....then drops pretty quick towards empty. But it works real well near empty!

You can't use the gauge to judge gas mileage...will need to record miles at each fillup and then how many gallons to refill.

I'd get very serious about checking the gear oil...probably change it out.

At those miles...you have a good car there...if the trans lasts.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Pegger
Advanced Member

Post by Pegger »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Fluids change due for sure, top of my list. Hope the tranny's not telling me something else??? Tranny's prone to failure?

So far as the gas, I'm not trying to measure MPG with the guage. All I'm saying is I think there's a leak part way up on the tank...

It's full swing into winter here and WAY to cold to snoop around under there!!!

I got some time off comming up over the holidays, I'll fill it up and let it sit, see where the guage goes in a few days... I'll drive the truck, the kids always like that!

Guy
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

You probably have a sending unit or fuel gauge issue, Guy. Mine does exactly the same thing.......needle in the gauge goes down rapidly from full to roughly 2/3 - 1/2 of a tank, then slows appreciably toward the empty mark. My low indicator light still works , which is a good thing!! ^_^

I didnt' realize how good of a car this one was until I took it over from my son. It only had 123k miles on it when we bought it 2 yrs ago, just turned over 139K yesterday. Most I have seen at the junkyard are way up over 200k, even approaching 300k...and i'm talking miles, not KM. I hope to keep driving this one for quite some time.
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Pegger wrote: Fluids change due for sure, top of my list. Hope the tranny's not telling me something else??? Tranny's prone to failure?
The one in my car has 220K miles on it and shifts just fine...do have some noise in 3rd where the idiot that drove it home for me rammed it into this gear and chipped a couple of teeth.

Main thing seems to be that people don't keep the oil level up. And some people probably abuse the transmissions....shifting too fast and popping the clutch. I don't baby mine when I need to use it ....but most of the time I go easy on it.

With cars this old...I'd pretty much forget anything over 1/2 synth gear oil and also try to stay towards the heavier stuff. Just an opinion.

Pegger
Advanced Member

Post by Pegger »

With cars this old...I'd pretty much forget anything over 1/2 synth gear oil and also try to stay towards the heavier stuff. Just an opinion.

Do you mean I should put no more than 1/2 synth oil in the tranny, or no less tan 1/2 synth in?

Also let me know what weight gear oil you've used. Do you live in a cold winter cllimate? That will also be a factor for my selection. Things get very stiff at -40.

Just want to know what your experiences have been with these fluids... And I'll try to use the best option nfor my situation.

Thanks, Guy.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Great common-sence buyers Guide Takza :D ! Pegger,I think he meens "no more" than 50% synth and I would think the closer you stay to 90# in your weather the better B)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Why no more than 50%? Enlighten me, why not put more than 50% of a far superior oil in? Use Amsoil, it stays very fluid at very low temps.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I've never used more than around 50% synth due to cost reasons. I'm moving to heavier weights due to the miles on the trans. For your temps you might want to stay with 90W?

Check here:

<a href='http://tercel4wd.com/invision/index.php ... &f=7&t=283' target='_blank'>http://tercel4wd.com/invision/index.php ... 7&t=283</a>

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Good reason

Pegger
Advanced Member

Post by Pegger »

I certainly would not want any heavier than that in winter anyway. Things just get so stiff. Heavier stuff doesn't flow as well in the cold ...

P.S. Quite a bit of snow since I got the car and I'm very pleased with the performance so far.

Guy
Inkyturbo
Top Notch Member

Post by Inkyturbo »

When I got mine (326000 mi) it had these problems-
Bad gas gauge(always reads empty)
Bad shocks
Tires low on tread
Oil leak
Worn driver's seat
Cut CV boot

All in all, not a bad car. I've put 2500 miles on it and it has not blown up yet, so that is a good sign. I drive 36 mi a day on the highway, so it is pretty rigorous stuff.
Josh G.

Joy is passing a brand new car at 80 in the fastlane, with your 22 year old Japanese economy car.

1983 Toyota Tercel Wagon (4WD, SR5)