Install a throttle spring...gain 2-3 mpg?

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Install a throttle spring...gain 2-3 mpg?

Post by takza »

Finally got inspired to put this on the wagon.

* Understand that this is HIGH TECH and will not be do-able by just an average mechanic....you might need an engineering degree. :roll:

How to do it:

* will likely need to remove the air cleaner in order to drill a hole for the spring in the edge of the heat stove

* the spring is probably from an old screen door (wooden type)...this seems to have about the right "pull". You should use around a 5" length of spring. Will probably need to make a loop for one end after cutting it to length.

* The bottom end of the spring needs to be "crimped" to stay on the heat shield...since there has to be some slack in the linkage in order for it to work

* I use heavy copper wire to make the link at top...easier to adjust the length...but strong enough to hold it's shape

So what does it do? Just gives your lead foot a reminder of where the best throttle position might be for the best mpg...but can be overidden at any time if needed. Seems to me that I have around 75-85% full power at maybe 1/4th or less throttle....keeps you out of the secondary?

You need to adjust it to your preferences...for a 1.5L probably somewhere past the throttle position needed to maintain 55 mph...for a V6 or V8...just about at that point.

This could be set up on any engine that isn't fly by wire...just need to find room for the spring and find a place on the engine to tie the end down.

*Need to be sure you will have no interference with throttle operation...install at your own risk.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Install a throttle spring...gain 2-3 mpg?

Post by splatterdog »

You probably hate me by now....

Why not just drive tenderly? Maybe tape an actual egg to your gas pedal. Rotten if you are serious. Carefull setting that choke...

Myself, I wont accept right leg fatigue or extra throttle shaft wear in the search of mpg. That's what a good running terc is for. You of all people shouldn't need that to control you. You are likely the most mileage conscious member here. If your car is in tune the rest is up to you. Use that 3ac power responsibly!

A vacuum gauge will let you see real world conditions. Maybe even clue you in to a pre-existing condition.

If all else fails, this has to work!-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

That video is awesome! It's kind of the reciprocal of Pat Goss from Motorweek, who talks down to you like you're a 74 IQ 17 year old.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

What the video guy said :mrgreen:

Been messing around with it...decided to readjust the "slop" down and now have the resistance at about the point where the throttle sits at 55 mph in 5th. And since I typically drive under 55...might leave it there...or might get it down to 45. 45 though...will interfere with typical throttle use.

You need to have a fairly sensitive foot to notice the transition...the effect is to remind you when you might be getting into the throttle a bit too much...and without the distraction of a vac gauge. I am going to hook up a test vac gauge to see where the vac is at though.

I'm guessing that at this setting...which is using maybe only 1/10th of full throttle range...I'm seeing maybe 70% of WOT power?

I'm thinking that most cars tuned for mileage will be tuned to be pretty efficient at a 55 mph throttle setting...though some do better at 35 mph...some claim at 70 mph or there abouts...probably V8s with low gearing.

The way I have it setup most extra stress is on the throttle cable for the most part.

I find that typically I can run up thru the gears using the current setting just fine...shifting at 2.5K. Not sure how effective it will be cause I typically drive about this way...unless I get in a hurry or into a "racing" mode...when I revert to old habits.

Would work best on a big V6 or V8...or for someone who needs to retrain a leadfoot.

And if you think I'm an mpg fanatic as far as driving techniques...I'm actually pretty resistant to the extreme lengths some go to...generally just trying to stay out of the throttle and anticipate stop signs.

I've been into sports cars and handling for a long while...now transitioning to mpg...different techniques and technology.

Occasionally I dream of just buying a 350Z twin turbo for just one last blast....into the past.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Installed a detent spring on my pickup...put this one on the throttle rod above the pedal...with the spring anchored on a steel dash brace up under the dash. Made a "loop" to attach the spring at the pedal rod...using a small hose clap to hold it on.

Both vehicles are set to engage at around the same throttle position as at 55 mph in 5th gear.

With both I intend to shift at around 2.5K...seems the combo is power enough to get down the road OK.

Expect both to save around 2-3 mpg vs more typical driving.

Probably a good idea to use a very small turnbuckle to adjust these...since the "slop" is only a fraction of an inch.

Specs for the truck:

vac at idle = 21 HG

vac at 55 mph in 5th = 10 to 14 HG....O2 cycles at this vac level...not if it goes below this though.

SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

splatterdog wrote:You probably hate me by now....

If all else fails, this has to work!-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o
Splatterdog.... YOU ROCK!
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody