Radiator screen mod....

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

After doing some offroading...driving through some tall grass, brush, and so forth, I found that my radiator and condenser and fan shrouds were full of grass seeds & various leaves. Not wanting to have to clean them every time I went offroad or have the car overheat, I found a solution for the problem.

Using a hose & a brush, etc, I cleaned all the debris out of the radiator and condenser fins, and out of the shrouds around the fans. I did this mostly from the engine side since usually the stuff comes in from the front.

You will have to remove the grill to do this right. There is at least one screw and several clips holding it.

You need to be VERY careful as far as bending the lightweight fins that make up the rad and condenser...or you can make the airflow much worse.

You can also carefully straighten any bent fins to improve the airflow...I use a small flat-bladed screwdriver.

Then I cut a piece of aluminum window screening to fit over the front of BOTH the radiator and AC condenser, but behind the grill. I cut this a little oversized so the edges could be bent around things at the outside edge so that it wasn't necessary to wire or fasten it ...except in 1 or 2 places. I needed to make some small cutout areas for the hood latch and a few other places.

This screen could be spray painted black to hide it better if wanted.

I then replaced the grill.

So far this has worked just fine, any grass seed or leaves and debris of any size gets stopped at the screen and stay out of the radiator & condenser.

Also, I haven't had to clean the screen itself since putting it in, since the stuff just falls off or gets washed off in the rain.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...