New Shifter Boots, Material, & Pattern Scans

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

New Shifter Boots, Material, & Pattern Scans

Post by ARCHINSTL »

These are two shifter boots that I just installed.
Yes, I sewed them! Since this was the first sewing I've done since I wore a green suit "back some years ago," I will strongly suggest that this be done by a sewing machine instead of by hand. The advantages are stronger joining and one heck of a lot faster!

Actually, the 6-speed lever was not too bad, as the pieces were larger and easier to manipulate; the 4WD boot was "challenging" as it, like the other, is made from four pieces and is a lot smaller and a PITA to manipulate. I sewed both inside out and then inverted them.
I made the larger boot 1 " longer, as it fits tighter than the cloth OE. The smaller one had to be the OE size, as the knob interferes.
I used what I think is called a "back stitch," but I dunno for sure; it seems like it made sense, anyway...

The bottom of the larger boot is sewn around a wire frame that is clipped into the console. The smaller is glued to the inside of the console - when you look at it, you will notice this. This was a real PITA to do; think about it before you try.
One tricky part was how to size the pieces. Then the light bulb went off :idea: - I needed a pattern, and what is a pattern but a copy! So I carefully cut apart the pieces, laid them on the scanner and printed out - a pattern! These were the exact sizes, so all I had to do was lay them on the vinyl and cut away.

The really good news is how well the color of the vinyl matches!
This is a product of the Naugahyde Company and is part of the Whisper line called "Capuccino." It is available at just about every fabric store; I got mine at a local outlet of Jo-Ann Fabrics, a national chain. It is sold by the yard, and buying a 1' length gave plenty, as it is 54" wide. The regular price is about $17 running yard, but was on sale for $8.50, so as I only needed 1', it only cost $2.83!
This Whisper vinyl comes in many colors and has a cloth backing. It is used for various types of seating, including boats and cars, so should be durable. It was actually pretty easy to use.
I might cover the sun visors next and then...
Tom M.

> > > SEE EDIT BELOW FOR BOOT PATTERNS & INFO < < <
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: New Shifter Boots

Post by Petros »

Nice. Mine are shot as well and I was going to do something similar and post it here, but you beat me to it. I was thinking about using real leather, since I have some deer skin that would match my brown interior. Perhaps you can scan your "pattern" and post here for others to use.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

This will come as a kinda dumb 'puter question, but...I can certainly scan the patterns, but if I load them to Photobucket and then stick them here - won't they be kinda small?
The scan would start out as 8 1/2"x11" (total 3 scans), but wouldn't they be shown as about the same size as the above pix and too small to be of use?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Find a way to put them on a 1" x 1" grid? Then they could be sized using a graphics program?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

If I can print it any size from this website, I can scale it up or down on a photo copy machine the correct size and use it. So draw on it the overall actuall dimensions (length and width) and it can be scaled from there.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

Wow! Those look better than OEM. Fantastic job.
I just keep doing spot repairs to mine with a bit of Aquaseal cement, it helps that the color is black for the boots, so the aquaseal is not so obvious. But those new boots of yours! Awesome.
Last edited by hberdan on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

Tom,

You're an inspiration. I went into Joann fabrics and bought some gray vinyl to make a new shifter boot. Though now the material seems too thick for the sewing machine and the proper look... I'll let you know how it goes.

ps. Thanks for the nice comments on the bearing replacement entry.
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

Looks great, Tom. If you need the under-radio "wallet holder" I can send you my extra one, just pay shipping. I see you have the cupholder strap on the one boot, but you're missing the required stripper garter on the shifter boot. Odd....

For anyone interested I've got the larger FWD cubby hole ("purse holder"??) with metal mounting hardware, and I think I even have the dark blue bezel for it. It won't fit 4wd cars :( . Just PM me, but I realize there are mostly 4wd peeps here.

By coincidink about a month ago I bought two grey boots from a little old lady who owned a T4wd way back when. Those suckers were manufactured back in Roctober of '95, so yes, they are very mothball-intensive.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Sold! See PM.
Now - what is a "stripper garter?" I looked at the pix in the '86 dealer catalog and saw nothing different than what I had/have. Ditto with pix of my then-new '83.
Ohhh - I just now got it...Yeah, yeah, yeah - so it's been a long time... :oops:
Hey - maybe black Velcro garters are what my stripper friends wear... :wink:
Tom M.

P.S. To those interested - I will endeavor to get up scans of the boots' pieces this weekend to use as patterns. I will put them on 1" gridded paper.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

P.S. To those interested - I will endeavor to get up scans of the boots' pieces this weekend to use as patterns. I will put them on 1" gridded paper.
I am most interested. Now if I could only figure out how to work a sewing machine!
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Hey - maybe black Velcro garters are what my stripper friends wear... :wink:
Sounds a bit ghetto, but different strokes for different folks I guess....do you go to one of those "home of the one-armed dancer" establishments? :oops:
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

deejay1272 wrote:
I am most interested. Now if I could only figure out how to work a sewing machine!
Might try this device?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=91812

Works real well for heavy duty sewing....and shorter runs.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

OK - I added the scans of the disassembled boots. Sorry I could not add this to an "Edit" of the first post - some kind of tech/'puter prob...
The grid is 1" x 1".
Actually, I did a "File" - "Print Preview," and they filled an 8 1/2" x 11" screen, so hopefully one can just "Save" the photos and then print it and get the EXACT size - but I dunno. It worked for me when I right-clicked to "Print picture."

I scanned the pieces from their inside, as the stitching is more evident - also as the outsides were kinda scummy and hard to view clearly.
To explain the red and blue markings: The "top red" was folded over on the blue line and stitched to the "bottom red" line. The top of the "blue line" is the top of the boot. The stitching holes are fairly evident.

As far as the front shifter goes - for mine, I added 1" to the length of the scans to have the boot come up higher on the lever (you can't on the 4WD lever, as it already extends to the base of the knob). While the two pieces marked "Side" are the identical size, I showed each in case one does not print well for you. The blue rectangles indicate where the wire form is situated.

4WD boot - the holes correspond to molded-in tips in the underside of the console and to holes in the metal framework to which the boot is glued. The brown stains are not rust, but are remains of the OE glue. As mentioned in the earlier post, I was unable to glue the boot to the frame and then fasten the assembly to the console, so I had to glue the boot to the inside of the console and then glue the frame to the boot...a real PITA, involving C-clamps. I used Krazy Glue/Super Glue for the initial tacking (for a rapid hold) and then followed up with clear GOOP.

Hope this helps.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Re: New Shifter Boots, Material, & Pattern Scans

Post by deejay1272 »

Check out my results. Thanks for the inspiration, Tom!

BEFORE:
Nasty!

AFTER:

I probably could have done a better job matching the color, but I kinda like the navy blue/gray combo...
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Re: New Shifter Boots, Material, & Pattern Scans

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Depending on your favorite medium, you have two choices of compliments:
"You have done well, young Padawan."
or
"You have done well, grasshopper."

Excellent work! Did you use a sewing machine?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain