92 to 95 Tercel vented disc brake upgrade

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

92 to 95 Tercel vented disc brake upgrade

Post by SynthDesign »

So in the process of Building my new T4WD I decided to try the 92 to 95 Tercel vented disc brake upgrade.

So off come the wasted original units.
IMG_0112 (2).JPG
The 93 calipers are cleaned up, painted and corresponding hardware assembled
IMG_0109 (2).JPG

1st problem, the 93 brake lines have an oval/flat cut fitting, while or T4WD use a hex fitting to mount into the hardline mount.
tercel line comp.jpg
Easy solution, make the new lines hex shaped. 20 seconds with the angle grinder.
IMG_0121.JPG
Also the newer lines used a wider clip
clip difference.JPG
So now the rotors go on and the calipers are bolted up.
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0125.JPG
Major problem
The rotor clearance is minuscule.
rotor clearance.JPG
I bolted a wheel on to see if it could turn. Barely. (note that this is a brand new hub and new bearings inside a used knuckle, Absolutely NO play))
Many ccurse words followed by a break.

Even bigger problem
The pad clips are digging in.
rotor gouge.JPG
This means the rotor hat itself sits too far inboard. Probably about 3mm. Another agreeing point is the slide boots are maxed out on the floating caliper.

So the only way I could think to rectify this is to put washers on the studs and move the disc out 3mm.

Does anyone sell hub to rotor spacers?
Ones that fit inside the rotor?

Other ideas?

I will know if the washer solve the problem tomorrow, and if so, it might require a quick trip to the CNC shop for some plate steel adapters to fit inside the rotors. If it works, YES, I will make extras.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Re: 92 to 95 Tercel vented disc brake upgrade

Post by SynthDesign »

Alright!
It plagued me enough to go out and dig out some washers and try it at 11:30pm.

So yes!! 4, 2.5mm spacers make enough clearance for the rotor to spin smoothly. The rotor still doesn't look centered.
The factory T4WD rotor (sitting on the top of the hat) is 4.75mm shorter than the vented disc.

So roughly a 4 to 5mm spacer should give the caliper proper clearance to wear and adjust.

So where do I find brake caliper spacers?
Do I need to go to longer studs for 4mm of extension? how many threads are required for properly mounting the lugnut?
I have to test to make sure the caliper will not hit the inside of the factory 13" steelies too.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I had the same spacer problem with my brake conversion. NAPA sells wheel spacers with the right pattern, not too costly either. I do not know if they are small enough to go under the rotor, but it would be fairly easy to shave down the outer dia. until they fit. It is not too hard to make a set from AL sheet stock, I used a hole cutter and a hand held drill, a large drill press would be even better. It took me about 40 min to make a pair from some scrap aluminum I had laying around.

Mine are only 1/8th inch thick, so I did not need longer studs. 5mm (about 1/4") seems large enough to consider longer studs, they do not cost much, most tire and wheel shops have them.

The basic rule is you need as a min. 1.5 the dia. of bolt length to get full strength. For something as large as lug nuts you could likely go down to the 1:1 length to bolt dia. but I would not go any less.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Petros,
Thanks for the technical knowledge regarding proper thread grip range.
NAPA had no idea what I was talking about. They gave me very puzzled looks and I'm sure I described it quite well. A steel spacer, 5mm thick, that sits between the hub and rotor in a 4 x 100mm bolt pattern. Sounds clear to me.

I found out Spoon, an after market Honda company makes them, but for a larger diameter rotor and they are obscenely expensive.
http://www.spoonsports.us/ProductDetail ... 5250-T03AL
45250-T03AL-2.jpg
So at this point it's looking like I'm gonna have to fire up Autocad and make some quick technical drawings and head off to the machine shop.

I'm gonna have to do the math on the lugnut studs and proper width for the spacers.
It looks like if needed, a front stud set is only around $20 so that's reasonable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

The rotor spacers I had made ended up looking like this.
IMAG0068.jpg
Problems is they ended up being a touch too thick. I solved this by spacing and moving the caliper mount outward a few millimeters. I got these spacers from SafeRacer. They're about .35mm thick with a 12mm ID and work quite well. Let me know if anyone needs any as I bought what I thought was two 10 packs and ended up with 200 spacers.
IMG_0010.JPG
All done and installed, the brakes work great.
After driving a little more than 1,500 miles, pad wear has been even and no fade or warping so far. I have more than enough stud sticking out to grab the lugnut so no need for longer studs.

Next upgrade will be to an 85 to 89 mr2 brake booster and master-cylinder as well as 85 Toyota pickup stainless lines
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)