Brake Up-grades MR2 Parts Vented Rotors Corolla Spacer Figs

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Brake Up-grades MR2 Parts Vented Rotors Corolla Spacer F

Post by irowiki »

Correct, that is doable.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
BrownBadger
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD Tercel SR5 - The Brown Badger

Post by BrownBadger »

Another question. I ordered all of the parts new (calipers, rotors, etc.), so I did not have a parts car to grab the banjo bolts from. I can't seem to find them through any parts suppliers except Toyota, and can't find the size anywhere to buy some universal ones. Does anyone know the size of the bolts.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Those bolts will be metric and specific to imports. If you don't want to buy them new you would have to check the wrecking yards. Otherwise, just get them at the dealer at an inflated price.
BrownBadger
Top Notch Member

Post by BrownBadger »

The parts stores have them in various metric sizes and thread pitches, but I just can't find the specs for them. Right now there aren't any MR2's at my local yards or I'd just pull some.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

these banjo bolts are common to other models of toyota (I think they are all the same in size and thread pitch in fact for all toyota models), so any toyota at the wrecking yard should have them.

or you can just take your calipers to the local auto parts stores and see if they can match the thread. You will also need the thin flat copper washers or gaskets to go on either side of the hose end fitting, two for each caliper.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
BrownBadger
Top Notch Member

Post by BrownBadger »

Running into another issue with this swap. As I said, I have new (reman) '85 MR2 calipers and new '92 Tercel rotors. I also got a set of spacers from SynthDesign. The problem is, with everything installed the rotors rub on the inner set of brake pads. At first, I thought the rotors might be warped as it was rubbing primarily during only part of a wheel rotation. I had them turned at the local tire shop, hoping this would cure the rubbing, but they are still rubbing slightly on the inside. It seems to me like the spacer is not deep enough. Has anyone else run into this issue? Any thoughts on an easy fix?

I know the first post says to use '86 MR2 calipers, but they are the same generation I believe, so I assume there isn't a problem with me using the '85 calipers.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

I've installed 4 sets of 92 plus tercel brake calipers with the corresponding vented rotors and my spacers with no problems. Ive got the swap down to maybe 35minutes of install and bleed time. I daily drive on two of then. I've already worn through 1 set up pads and Chinese rotors.
I think the problem stems from the mr2 calipers. There's two year splits which offer variances in rotors. Another issue is getting remanned units that may or may not have the correct assemblies and brackets. I can bet just about any junkyard has the 2nd gen tercels in stock with normally great condition calipers there for the picking. It's been much easier.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
motorcity_rob
My tercel:: 1987 Wagon

Post by motorcity_rob »

Hi SynthDesign, so did you use a 92' Tercel's Master cylinder and booster as well? Then i would only need to find a 1992 Tercel to do the upgrade?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I doubt the '92 master cyl. is going to work without a lot of modification. Also, it would depend on the bore dia if it is an improvement or not (not point in doing the swap if there is no improvement). the first gen MR2 master and booster bolts right up without any modification, and improves the brake ratio to give more stopping power.

If you can not find first gen MR2 master and booster, stay with the factory one. It just means it takes more pedal pressure to get the same amount of braking power, but you will still get the more durable vented front rotors if you just do the rotor and caliper up grade. either way, the front to rear braking ratio will not be affected.
motorcity_rob
My tercel:: 1987 Wagon

Post by motorcity_rob »

Ok, that's what I kinda thought. Just wanted to check before I do my front brakes and rotors. I want the vented rotors, so If I'm going to change them out, I think I'll go find some 92' Tercel calipers, spacers and upgrade the rotors. Then later all I have to do is find an MR2 master and booster.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Does it have to be a 92 tercel, or can it be any from that generation?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

The calipers have to be from a tercel with vented rotors. I've seen 90, 91 and 92 with nonvented rotors. 92 plus have the vented disc to 95 I believe.

Also, Banjo bolt dimensions for the caliper, 10mm x1 x23mm length, the crush washers are 1.5mm thick with an ID of 10mm and an OD of 14mm.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Synth is correct, they come on the 4th gen tercels, but only the later years, the earlier years 4th gen have the same undersized flimy 11 mm unvented rotors as ours. the later Echo may us them as well, the big issue is the offset, the later 4th gen Tercels have the smallest offset so the thinnest spacer is required to center the caliper on the new rotor.

Both the MR2 and Corrolla vented rotors can be made to work, but you need a much thicker spacer, and that means longer wheel studs so you have enough grip length on the lug nuts, all this adds cost (and it will widen the front track width by about an inch, which will change steering and handling, and put more stress on the front wheel bearings). All this means unknown long term effect, so best to keep the spacer as small as possible, as it is you will increase track with by about 1/4" (6 mm), which will not likely cause any noticeable effect on durability or handling.
LeeBiew
Advanced Member
My tercel:: "The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd and "The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)

Post by LeeBiew »

I have just did this brake upgrade with even LARGER ROTORS and NO SPACERS!!!

10.2" (258mm) from 87 MR2 vs. 9.4" (238mm) from 85 MR2

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... =15#p78841

NO SPACERS!!!
"The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd
"The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

LeeBiew wrote:I have just did this brake upgrade with even LARGER ROTORS and NO SPACERS!!!

10.2" (258mm) from 87 MR2 vs. 9.4" (238mm) from 85 MR2

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... =15#p78841

NO SPACERS!!!

Be VERY Careful with this setup. Since the rotor is intended to be hubcentric, your oversized rotor can float around the hub. Normally the worst symptom is breaking or shearing lugnut studs although shearing all 4 off and tossing a wheel is common too. I would highly recommend buying a set up hubcentric spacers at minimum but I believe this to be UNSAFE and a highly Dangerous upgrade.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)