Replacement for engine shock absorber

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Re: Replacement for engine shock absorber

Post by SynthDesign »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Well -
I sent an enquiry to Butler Toy in Indy last night and it responded promptly this AM: The part has been discontinued and is NLA anywhere.
I just spoke to the parts guy there and he said he checked all of the USA Toy warehouses - and - all of the individual USA Toy dealers' warehouses through a special program, and no one has any of these.
So - if you have further info...

Incidentally, he kinda laughed and said he was surprised at all of the T4WD parts they've shipped this year!
Tom M.

Home sick again today, I figured I'd call my Toyota hook up as well and see if it was true. Your part # is correct.

ARCHINSTL, Sadly, You are correct. Discontinued outright. I was wrong. :(

I guess I should count myself lucky in knowing this may well be the last Toyota A series engine dampener left.
I'm not sure how I got it. Most likely it was sitting on a shelf not inventoried until someone found it, re-entered it and somehow when I ordered it, it showed up.
IMG_0123.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

On a second phone call, NO luck from the great white north either.. Toyota Canada stated it was discontinued as well.
Man, I hate being wrong, especially when It's something I'm gonna need down the line.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

WOWIE -
Are you lucky!
As a favor, please see if there are any markings, etchings, stampings to indicate, well, any maker or model number. I can make out nothing on mine, save the little sticker in Japanese and English about the contents being under pressure, etc. Of course, mine is somewhat the worse for cosmetics.

Is the resistance noticeably firmer than the old one? Kinda like "The original is like pushing down on a tube of Jello and the new one is like pushing down on a tube of hard rubber."

Thanks for calling Toy Canada - I was just getting to write it when your (now dashed) ray of sunshine appeared last night. On to Toy AU and NZ...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

ARCHINSTL wrote:WOWIE -
Is the resistance noticeably firmer than the old one? Kinda like "The original is like pushing down on a tube of Jello and the new one is like pushing down on a tube of hard rubber."
The resistance isn't too much firmer than the best one I could find in my parts bins. The compression is relatively soft while the rebound is very firm. The one in this vehicle originally,had no fluid left in it and no dampening.

There are no markings anywhere or the cartridge besides the silver sticker.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Is the part # 12307-15030 as in our Parts List?
tom, this is a late reply and i know you've made your own mod for this but i was messing around with the few engine shock absorbers i had kicking around and found the writing on one is completely intact. it is as follows:

12307-15040
TOKICO
MADE IN JAPAN
UH1

so the part # is slightly different but this one also came off an '87 and i've noticed a slight difference in design between it and the other i have. both of them are f*cked unfortunately, but there's a local guy rescuing old tercs and corollas so i hope to get one in good condition from an terc he's got there. i'll also ask my friend at the parts store who works magic to see if she can track one down--highly unlikely but ya don't know if ya don't try!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

+ + + ! Keep us posted!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I've put 70K on my wagon and have had no issues with mounts...motor or trans....or driveline sloppiness. Lucky me?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

nope, no luck finding this damn thing. i even went to a few scrapyards and tried to scrounge a few but the ones i pulled were shot and the ones from the older gen tercels use a different style of mount.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Easier to just make one following the posts on that subject?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

yes, i've considered those but--call me obsessive--i'd really like one of the original shocks in there. if i'm totally f*cked and can't score one anywhere than i'll def do a home job.