Product for repairing bumpers

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Product for repairing bumpers

Post by Petros »

I just had to share my experience with the Bondo Bumper repair kit. It is a two part mixture of a hard rubber compound that you use to repair damaged rubber parts like bumper covers and rub strips. It cost about six or seven dollars and it works great. It is gap filling and will bond to the existing rubber.

I had an old 4 inch wide and about six inch long "flap" torn out of our All-Trac front bumper, done by the previous owner. It had about 1/4-1/2" gap in the tear, it would not lay flat and was real obvious. You could open the flap and see right through the bumper to the ground. Unfortunately I did not get a good "before" picture of the damage.

I took a wire bush to the inside of the tear, and sand paper to the outside face of the bumper, and cleaned it good with solvent. I mixed the two part mixture on a scrap of wood with the supplied squeegee tool. I filled both sides of the tear and taped it down flat. After it cured I removed the tape and rough sanded the outside to contour. I than mixed up a bit more to fill the low spots and blend in any unevenness at the repair spot. Once it cured I sanded it all smooth and even with the bumper.

Now it almost looks like there was never any damage to the bumper at all. only a slight color difference can be seen in the picture, and that could be evened out with tire-black or black paint. The repair filler can also be painted according to the package. It is a great product and easy to use.

repair mix tube

contents of kit

repaired bumper, damage was right at corner (under the red stripe)

front view of repaired area
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Product for repairing bumpers

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Thanks! Good to know!
Others who use this product should contribute, with pix.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain