An Australian Weber install. With photos.

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Re: An Australian Weber install. With photos.

Post by 4wdchico »

Petros wrote:It will not harm anything to not have a working vac advance. It should not cause ping. It is only there to advance the timing during part throttle driving (like with steady state hwy driving), at part load the engine can have more spark advance than at full throttle, so it improves economy at part throttle driving. Many of the vac advance on older cars are not working (Including mine). Just block off the vac lines to prevent a vac leak.

It could be rebuilt I suppose, but I have never heard of a place that does it. I search the wrecking yards for good ones and buy them for a few $. But they usually do not last long either since they are all the same age. Fortunately this distributor came in a number of different models, so you have many to choose from.

Good luck.
Having a non-functioning vac advance will put a higher thermal load on the exhaust valves. Fuel economy suffers because a burning fuel charge is going out the exhaust valves instead of powering the car.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

True to some extent, but you can mitigate some of the economy loss and lower the exhaust tem by running spark advance at 12 deg BTDC. The economy loss will not be large, and part load exhaust temps are much lower than full throttle anyway. Most of the vac advances on our cars are not functioning by now anyway, it has not proven to be a major issue. If the vac advance works, great, but it will not cause ping or the stumbling the thread author describes.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
gmeddy
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 83, SR5

Post by gmeddy »

what would cause it to die sometimes (usually when it's cooled off a bit) when it's idling fine, and i touch the accelerator a bit, it just dies.
sometimes i have to re-start it several times before i can get it to get past that point and rev up.

i'm pretty DANG sure i dont have any vacuum leaks.
I've got the dissy advance capped off, it makes no difference if i cap off the pcv vac line either, so there's a big vac leak source too that doesn't seem to affect the problem of rough idle and dieing.

whats going on?

anyone had these same symptoms?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I'm running the original carb, but without vac advance...just advanced ignition. Find that the typical pinging issues tend to go away...pretty hard to get it advanced enough to ping. BTW...I don't have hesitation from low speeds...typically see 35 mpg in the summer.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

gmeddy
Advanced Member

Post by gmeddy »

FLOAT LEVEL
I got a refference to a guide for what the float level should be from some web site, and then found another link to the same guide on another site so i was sure it must be right.
I opened up my Weber and measured the gap. Wayyyy out.
After fixing this up to as close as i could get to spec, and running it again (a couple weeks now) I can say for sure that the Float level was causing a LOT of the problems.

I no longer have problems with it wanting to die when i put my foot down at idle.
It runs a lot smoother.
Althogh when i'm driving at low speed, holding the throttle at a set spot, say for example, first gear at 2500rpm, it is impossible to maintain a smooth run. it acts like i'm pushing my foot in and out a bit constantly. causing the car to buck and crap on like i can't drive.
I've been told i may need an "Isolation Plate" and i've read in the weber papers i may need a bigger idle jet because it idles better when i screw out the idle mixture screw further than 2 and half turns.
currently i have a 0.45 idle jet.
what do you guys have?
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Fifty.
gmeddy
Advanced Member

Post by gmeddy »

had a look on ebay, seems the DCOE carby is the most popular for Jets.
hard to find DGEV 32/36 .50 Jet. :?
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

www.weberjets.com should have em', but that's state side.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody