Drivability improvements...3AC

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
G.W.Colson

Post by G.W.Colson »

For what it's worth..... Always had some slight surging or uneven rpm when just maintaining speed (holding speed with no accelerator action). Just a picky aggrivating issue that no mechanic could find. By the way, it was worse with EGR hooked up & diaphram not working).

Drilled out the idle mixture plug and enrichend the mixture screw about 1/2 turn. What a difference. Better idle, more power on acceleration and no hesitation or engine fluctuation what-so-ever. Runs flawlessly! and with 227K miles. Now if I could just get the cold start cycle to run less rich in the first minute after starting up in the morning.

Great web site.....just stumbled onto you guy's

gwc
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Did you need to remove the carb to drill it out? One of these days I'm going to remove it and rebuild.

I decarboned my EGR and put in a new O2 sensor...car was undrivable under 1500 RPM or so. Talk about surging. EGR off right now.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

G.W.,

What you had was a mixture just on the lean side of perfect.
Now it's probably on the rich side of perfect, where most of the power is generated.

To lean down the choke mixture, adjust the choke stop such that the vanes don't completely close. That'll allow more air past, making the mixture a little leaner.

If your EGR is stuck open, too much exhaust gas could be getting through, making the mixture even more lean...

Solutions: open the choke stop up a little to allow it to let more air past.
De-carbon the EGR.

Hope this helps.
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"