Testing Heater Core for Heat Output

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Testing Heater Core for Heat Output

Post by xirdneh »

I re-tested the new aluminum heater core and got better results. The first attempt reached 122 degrees and the second try reached 142 degrees. This time around I filled the core with water on the workbench. I filled it slowly and stopped periodically to bump it on the bench figuring that might help work air bubbles to the top. When it was filled I plugged the inlet and outlet with corks. Then I slipped it into the housing.
I removed the inlet cork (pipe points up) and hooked the hose up. Then I corked the other end of that hose (at the pressure cooker) and filled it with water thru a mid line hose conn. that had a foot long hose connected to it and pointed up so it would hold some water .
That water was supposed to replace the water lost while I was quickly removing the outlet pipe cork and connecting the hose (somehow I managed to do that so no air entered the system).
When I turned the pump on water flowed immediatly (no waiting/burping period).
So now I have tested two used brass cores that reached 140 degrees and one new alum core that reached 140 degrees.
New cores may or may not come with weather stripping type foam to install around the core it so it fits snug into the housing sealing the perimeter thus forcing all air thru the fins. The smaller alum core does not have as much surface area on the sides to attach foam .
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.