ECU question

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

ECU question

Post by danzo »

While disconnecting my damned door buzzer yesterday (after I bypassed my damned clutch starter interrupt) I noticed that the ECU behind the glovebox has a knob on it labelled "RPM" with high and low at either extreme. Does anyone know what this does? Is it a rev limiter?

BTW, I determined via the FSM that my fuel gauge is garbage. Does anyone have an SR5 gauge cluster they'd be willing to sell?
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Re: ECU question

Post by Neu »

I've never seen that, and I KNOW these cars dont have rev limiters, as I've had mine to 8000 rpms, and it doesn't even try to limit it. It'd also be hard to limit revs with a carb.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Don't take this the wrong way - but are you certain you are looking at the ECU?
The AC amplifier switch has a knob and is marked just that way. This is visible as you look straight through to the black housing.
See page AC-39 (nearly at the end) of the FSM.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

My bad, that must be the a/c amplifier adjuster. Finally tomorrow I'll have a chance to do a bunch of fact-finding inspection on my new to me car. Might just get into SCCA Rallycrossing next year.

BTW it would be very easy to have a rev limiter on a carb'ed car, just cut the spark. I'm sure there are carb'ed cars with factory limiters, but you can buy an aftermarket under-dizzy cap electronic ignition for just about any car. I believe it's called Petronix, and it has a built in adjustable limiter.

Hope all our NW peeps are keeping warm/enjoying the snow.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.