Shifter problems, rust [prev.] or even stick shift freezing?

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
Pearson
Advanced Member
My tercel:: Carib 87 4wd JDM

Re: Shifter problems, rust [prev.] or even stick shift freezing?

Post by Pearson »

ARCHINSTL wrote:I presume you have done a Search here for "short shifter" (or similar)?
There is a thread somewhere - it seems that member shogun from Guatemala made something like that - but dunno if he was the one for sure.
Replacing the worn parts will restore OE shifting movement quality - but will not shorten the throws.
Tom M.
Im not looking for short shifter, i just want to restote the original movement quality, could you please post some pictures so i can notice what a worn is?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Pearson wrote:
ARCHINSTL wrote:I presume you have done a Search here for "short shifter" (or similar)?
There is a thread somewhere - it seems that member shogun from Guatemala made something like that - but dunno if he was the one for sure.
Replacing the worn parts will restore OE shifting movement quality - but will not shorten the throws.
Tom M.
Im not looking for short shifter, i just want to restote the original movement quality, could you please post some pictures so i can notice what a worn is?
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

If you want to reduce SLOP...there is a plastic seat the shifter sits in that wears....some even have worn metal parts...the shifter itself?

Easy way is to just remove the shifter by removing the snap ring...pour some gear oil in there...replace the plastic seat...slathering it with grease...replace the boot on top of the trans.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

gmeddy
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 83, SR5

Post by gmeddy »

ok, i got the six nuts out that hold the "womb" closed (major mission getting the front two out, no room for a wobble joint, and an open end spanner couldn't get enough grip. I ended up putting a ratcheting ring spanner on it and put the whole spanner inside the cavity, allowing me about 1 inch of movement, just enough to crack it when levering against my spanner with a bar!), took out the circlip, gave the shifter a tug, and she didn't come... i'll go give it a harder tug to see if it'll give... i forgot what i'd read here that it comes out without needing the lid off.
even with the six main bolts removed, it wont budge. did anyone else have this problem? the old gasket must be stuck like glue.
how am i gonna get leverage on it to loosen it?

I got the new parts, but not the boot, no toyota parts dealer - genuine or non-genuine - could get that boot.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

gmeddy wrote:how am i gonna get leverage on it to loosen it?
Did you read this? My third post down.
http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... ack#p37116
gmeddy wrote:I got the new parts, but not the boot, no toyota parts dealer - genuine or non-genuine - could get that boot.
You did try Butler* - right? Also, this thread, page 1, my first post.
Tom M.
* EDIT - OOPS - forgot you were in Oz... :oops:
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
gmeddy
Advanced Member

Post by gmeddy »

thanks for that link ARCHINSTL, altho i'm not sure how you levered it gently with a... some sort of screw driver.
i had to lay under the vehicle and hammer up at the lid from underneath with a long flat screw driver at the seam. got it.
but my problem now is, the shifter stick wont come out.
i have removed the big c ring that is directly under the boot, on top of the "lid".
when i lift the lid up there is another little metal cover bit with a spring under it,
and then i'm looking at the top of the ball bart of the stick, with the grooves in the sides.
there is no more things to hold it in.
something is tho, i'm yanking on the thing as hard as i can, rocking the whole dang car. still wont come out!!
the main lid is now loose as i mentioned, from chiseling up from under the car, but it will not come out until i get the shifter stick out!
:x
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I'd put a couple tablespoons of kerosene or WD40 in there to soak it..then use a large pair of vicegrips with PADDING on the jaws...clamp to the shifter...and use them as a lever to pull it loose.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Re: Shifter problems, rust [prev.] or even stick shift freez

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I did not have this problem. The lid was kinda stuck on, but with the aid of the aforementioned Big Arse screwdriver prying on its side, it did pop off, with only minor damage to the gasket.
Your procedure is correct - the lever should have popped out with the removal of the C-ring. Although - I, and I think most others, have removed this before I took off the bolts to the lid, simply to give more room for a wrench on the bolts.
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 6&start=15
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... ter#p35580
This one has some pix as to what the inside looks like (well, not all are this rusty):
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... ter#p30853
Here are a few more photos, courtesy of the late RonB.:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rblachut/3 ... 186816318/

I don't think anyone has encountered your problem before. It should just lift right out. takza's suggestion seems the way to go...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
gmeddy
Advanced Member

Post by gmeddy »

ok, i'm not surprised that i have a one off problem, story of my life. :roll:
i'm gonna have another crack at it this afternoon, just as well we've got the Defender to cruise around in now while the Terc is out of Action. :wink:
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

The only thing that can be keeping that stick in is the nylon bushing on around it's very lowest point. It is a ball and socket type of affair. Pulling hard is often futile as you need a quick, sharp impact to break it apart. Not so much about the total force exerted, much more about the type of force provided by a slide hammer.
gmeddy
Advanced Member

Post by gmeddy »

i have sighted a pool of water down inside... so lubricants will not be getting down there.
i've tried leverage, slide hammer type of system, with a big donk shifter adjusted to the width of the stick and slid up in a whacking style, then holding the big shifter up against the under-side of the part where the stick gets thicker, and slamming it with a hammer underneath.
all to no avail. i'm getting nowhere.
i've given this thing some serious hammering! i'm starting to fear damage to the gearbox or something from further abuse.
i can't see how a little piece of plastic like that seat could hold it in so good! there is a little bit of movement up and down on the stick, but doesn't seem to get any larger from all the hammering.
this little job has now stretched over 3 days!
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

They nylon bushing is probably rusted to the part that it fits into. I would fill up the shifter area with ATF and let it sit at least a couple of days before trying again.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Sure there's not another spring clip in there? A good ATF soak sounds good too.

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

gmeddy - while holding the lever and lid together "as a unit," can you rotate the whole affair? This would indicate that the shifter ball at the end is not rusted solidly in place with the selector. 4wdchico's and takza's recommendation of filling with a couple of inches of ATF seems the best way to go.
**********************************************************************************************************************
Well, this is OT a tad, but - to all who have replaced the shifter parts...
I noticed on gemeddy's, TuffGong's, and RonB.'s photos that there is a coil spring that is fitted under the domed cap which then fits under the domed cap with the lip (that is secured by the C-ring).
My memory could be faulty here (what!), but I just do not recall this spring. I just checked in the EPC and there is no spring shown. The FSM, of course, ignores it completely.
I've noticed a very occasional reluctance to shift into first from rest, which is avoided by initially shifting into second and thence to first (which is a lifelong shifting habit from Morris Minors). I've attributed this to the newness of the parts...
But I'm not going to be able to take it apart for a while.
Anyone else NOT have a spring?
Of course, it may just be my memory, but...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
gmeddy
Advanced Member

Post by gmeddy »

yeah the whole thing rotates together quite easily, it's not rusted solid at all. there is a bit of up and down movement to it too, the jammed up part must be the ball down the bottom. i just wish the lid would come off so i could see down there propperly!!!!
I'm gonna have to get a hose in there to suck all the water out first i guess before any ATF will get down there...
shifting into first difficult, shifting from second to first helps.
i've had that problem for a couple years now, usually i have to get the car to move a little in second, then slip it from second to first while it's still rolling forward.. not every time, but often.