rack and pinion replacement

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
alex16
My tercel:: 1983 6speed a/c, towbar, hitch, sr5

rack and pinion replacement

Post by alex16 »

Well yesterday (1 day before the hurricane Ike hits) my rack and pinion went out in the worst way possible.

I was at a fueling station maneuvering my small trailer and tercel into a tight spot when turning the steering wheel it "slipped". I turned the wheel and it made a clicking sound and the steering wheel turned but nothing else. When I slowly drove and lightly turned the wheel it still turned the wheels. I got the tercel to my work near by where it still is right now. I looked at it and the entire steering shaft going into the rack and pinion is turning but the tie rod ends are not. Have any of you had a manual rack and pinion failure? I'm hoping its not too difficult to replace it.
schmooot

Re: rack and pinion replacement

Post by schmooot »

ouch that sux. It is an easy job to replace if you have a whole nother one complete with tie rod ends though...just drop the old out the bottom and slide the new one up...even better if you can find a power one complete
alex16

Post by alex16 »

i dont want a power rack, I have absolutely no problems what so ever with manual steering, I actually prefer manual. I rather replace this rack with a rebuilt,new, I dont want a used unit. I would not mind taking mine apart and rebuilding it with oem toyota parts.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

Then go get a haynes or chilton manual and bust into it!

edit: and post lots of pictures and update us!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Might be the splines on the input shaft? Bolt lose or broken?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

alex16

Post by alex16 »

nah as i said in my previous post the entire shaft turns with the wheel perfectly. Everything that you can see turns, just the wheels do not.

I'm not happy because I normally have bad luck with the inner tie rod ends on old toyota's and i also normally having a hard time getting my big american hands into tight places for the rack and pinion mount bolts (with the engine and tranny in place)