Swapping the gas tank

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

I swapped the gas tank, it was a very easy job.

To remove it, you 1st remove the 4 screws for the tank protector cover. Then remove the tank protector cover. Then, you remove the two bolts holding the straps to the body. Remove those pins in the straps. Remove the straps. Lower the tank a little bit, and disconnect the 3 fuel lines (you could do this 1st, but it's a tight spot). Lower the tank all the way to the ground. Make sure there is a piece of cardboard under the tank, because you will be dragging it out. Then, you just angle the tank, and pull it out from under the car.

It's a really simple job! Took me only about 30minutes, and I was taking my time. I didn't even have to jack the rear end up.

To put the tank back in, just reverse the removal process.

So why did I do this? Because my current tank was starting to rust, and the donor tank was in good condition. Also, both of my sending units are broken. Anyone have any idea how to fix them, or where to get a replacement (other than a junkyard)? Here are some pictures:

Donor Tank: (before cleaning it)

Inside of the donor tank: All it had were little brown specs at the bottom... Very few particles in the filter.

Old tank: The tubes were just about rusted through, the bolts were really stuck.... Didn't bother to peek inside the tank, or even recover the 2G of gasoline.

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Great write-up! Thanks!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

sacwac wrote: Didn't bother to peek inside the tank, or even recover the 2G of gasoline.
I'd strain it and pour it into my lawnmower. I hate my lawnmower. :D
gus

Post by gus »

Hello,

I just dropped my tank yesterday on 1986 with 2 of the lines bad. Any idea where to get the new cover with 3 lines going in? Does that 1 line really need that big "S" bend in it?

Thanks -- Gus
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

this should have been done to my tercel LONG ago, it sat for 7 years with a half a tank of gas in it, which is THE worst thing you can do when you let a car sit. for a prolonged period of time.

insted we changed the fuel filters every week and the fuel pump once.

not the fuel filters last about 2 months, and i need a new pump because its causing the gas smell, booyeah!!!
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.