Using the big A........

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

<a href='http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/' target='_blank'>http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/</a>

<a href='http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pes_acetone/' target='_blank'>http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pes_acetone/</a>

<a href='http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pes ... Rows&tbl=1' target='_blank'>http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pes ... s&tbl=1</a>

"The acetone molecule works physically to vigorously shake up every drop of fuel. It acts like an internal vibrator to shake up each tiny bit of fuel so the fuel does NOT ball up or glue together into large aggregate particles. Instead this important additive guarantees more complete vaporization of fuel inside the combustion chamber where it really matters to defeat surface tension. Acetone allows gasoline to behave more like the ideal automotive fuel which is PROPANE. The degree of improved mileage depends on how much unburned fuel you are presently wasting. Thus you might gain 15 to 35-percent better economy from the use of acetone."

"Remember that acetone, alcohol, gasoline and all fuels in general are extremely flammable. Fuels in general should never be allowed near a flame of spark source. Fuels can also dissolve asphalt, most plastics and paint. They can damage skin and clothing. They should be kept in properly ventilated storage and not mixed with unknown substances. Keep children away from all dangerous chemicals. Do not bring dangerous fuels inside your home. A garage is typically a common place for such chemicals."

----------------------------------------------

Specific use info for a 13 gallon Tercel tank......using acetone at 3 oz per 10 gallons....

** Note...it's a real good idea not to get too excited and to take the time to find your baseline mpg before adding the acetone. Usually takes 3 tanks at least.**

I print or write the chart below out so it can be taped to the back of the driver's visor.

I CIRCLE the 13 G level to indicate that this is the tank capacity.

I HIGHLIGHT the 9 to 12 G levels since these are typically the amounts used to fill the tank.

I also use the trip meter to help estimate how much gas will be
needed to fill the tank.

I then add the acetone and then fill the tank in a typical way each time.

I write down the odometer reading...gallons used to fill...and the
exact amount of acetone added for this tank. Note any other
changes made such as tire pressure...etc. Then calculate the mpg.

Fuel.................Acetone Ratio

Gallons........2oz/10gal.........3oz/10gal

1................... 0.2.............. 0.3
2................... 0.4.............. 0.6
3................... 0.6.............. 0.9
4................... 0.8.............. 1.2
5................... 1.0.............. 1.5
6................... 1.2.............. 1.8
7................... 1.4.............. 2.1
8................... 1.6.............. 2.4
9................... 1.8.............. 2.7
10................. 2.0.............. 3.0
11................. 2.2.............. 3.3
12................. 2.4.............. 3.6
13................. 2.6.............. 3.9

So you have to do 2 critical things...keep the ratio as constant as
possible and get an accurate mpg reading for each tank...then.... eventually you can zero in on what precise ratio works best.

So you start with 3.9 oz (3oz/10G) for the first full tank and go from there.

Some might be getting decent mpg gains using 2oz/10gal.

Usually, for most cars, if you get the ratio down to 2 oz per 10 G you lose mpg or if it gets up to 4 oz per 10 G you lose mpg.

Hints:

* buy only acetone labeled 100 % pure (Autozone....Home Depot...etc?).

* buy it 1 gallon at a time...after first proving it out....keeps the cost down.

* buy some nail polish remover (NPR) in the 10 to 16 oz bottles and use these to carry and add acetone to the tank...mark with a permanent marker them at EACH ounce level...1 thru 10 or 16 oz. Try to buy acetone (NPR) with the least "extras" in it...the bottles are basically free.

* Walmart has an 8 oz flip-top NPR bottle (Tips be Gone) that makes it easy to judge the amount put in and avoid spashing it.

* keep it off your car's paint.

* it might take several tanks to see an mpg gain.

---------------------------------

"I've done a bit of research on ACETONE as fuel additive for
performance/economy.

From 4 different sources take a pick.

Approx .2% to .25% is suggested.

I also found info that suggest's .75% for octane boost/economy.

1% to 2.5% for blending ethanol/methanol e.t.c and small amounts of
water[approx 1% H2O].

And for racing fuel blends up to 15% Yee Ha!

Acetone is a good surfactant. It's a great fuel blender. It apparently
loves to scavenge/mix H2O into your fuel[good for your steel tank]. It
melts plastic and is corrosive in large percentage amounts.

Does it work..Hmmmmmm...well I can vouch for it's power boosting
qualities at .75% to 1% range but as far as economy goes, the speedo doesn't work.

As its octane rating is approx 150 [by memory] and it's not cheap so
you have to work out your priorities." "aussieburra"

------------------

"Roger Crawford, a businessman and independent researcher in Midland, Tex., takes a different approach to fuel economy. He has just begun marketing a gas additive he calls "XtraMPG." He says it boosts octane, burns cleaner and enables motorists to get better fuel economy and buy less expensive grades of gas -- saving 10 to 15 percent overall on gas.

What's in XtraMPG? "Most of us know it as nail polish remover," Crawford says. "It is simple acetone, a nonhazardous organic chemical . . . rated at 150 octane."

Crawford says he'd be happy if everyone bought acetone and added it to their gas tanks. But since people seem reluctant, he's packaging it as XtraMPG.

The EPA hasn't tested XtraMPG. But the EPA's Chandler warns that consumers need to beware what gadgets and fuel additives they add to their cars -- especially with today's computer-controlled fuel-injection systems. "There are other, more practical ways to save fuel," he says."

<a href='http://www.xtrampg.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.xtrampg.com/</a>

Notice: If you use, share, or distribute this information, you do so by your own choice and at your own risk. Read only with proper ventilation; Keep away from pets and small children; This message is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Pegger
Advanced Member

Post by Pegger »

Has anyone else tried this? Any other experience or feedback?

I'll probably try this once I've read more info...

I can get the stuff from the painters at work...

Guy
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

In short, don't.

Acetone is a highly flammable polar organic solvent that will rip crap out of your fuel lines and any other plastic part it comes into contact with.
It will also remove any and all paint from any surface it comes into contact with.
There are a fair number of plastic parts within the fuel system of our cars, and when you consider blow-by gases from the cylinders, acetone vapour can get anywhere...

Yes, it might give you a little more fuel economy and power, but that's at the sacrifice of possibly etching and damaging your cylinders and heads. When acetone burns, it creates free radicals which can really damage metal surfaces.

I like my Tercel and I'm not going to do anything that might mean I have to rebore the block or plane the head in the near future.
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"
Pegger
Advanced Member

Post by Pegger »

Thanks for that. Come to think of it now you're right. Anything that this stuff comes into contact with gets melted or messed up.

I WON'T try it...

Thanks again!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

A case of collusion? ;)

Or is it hysteria? Psychops?

Understand that I am not promoting the use of acetone....this post is FYI ONLY.

I gain nothing if you use it.

Using acetone at a .32% rate isn't likely to be a problem....and in fact might even help seal potential fuel system leaks.....it is less flammable than gasoline....question is....will it improve your MPG and is it cost effective & safe to use.

<a href='http://www.interfire.org/res_file/aec_20ig.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.interfire.org/res_file/aec_20ig.asp</a>
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Pegger
Advanced Member

Post by Pegger »

Lateer's post reminded me of what acetone does to "soft materials" pretty much anything that isn't metal gets melted or deteriorates quite badly. I've seen it happen at work when it gets spilled or guy's will use it to clean something on plastic or whatever.

So on the chance that acetone might mess up some of the components of the fuel system I will not use it for the potential small gain in MPG.

Guy
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

More stuff to freak out about.........

"Get a bag of Mothballs. It will increase the Octane and Better
Gas Mileage than all the Additives, They sell. I learned from my
Great GrandFather. Good for All Carburators only. Do not use it for
Fuel Injectors. Use a Old Socking and Put the two Monthballs in the
Socking and Down in the Gas tank Funnel a little ways. Mothballs
should not be droped into the tank."

"I've done something like this. I read somewhere that you use 1
mothball per every three (3) gallons of gas. Make sure they are the
99.9% naphthalene ones otherwise you will have problems. I didn't
use the stocking method though. I crushed mine up and completely
dissolved them in gasoline before pouring them into the tank. Only
gave me 2 -3 mpg improvements though."

----------------

Description:

Naphthalene (CAS #91-20-3) is a white solid with a strong smell; is also called mothballs, moth flakes, white tar, and tar camphor. Naphthalene is a natural component of fossil fuels such as petroleum and coal; it is also formed when natural products such as wood or tobacco are burned. The principal use for naphthalene is as an intermediate in the production of phthalic anhydride, which is used as an intermediate in the production of phthalate plasticizers, resins, phthaleins, dyes, pharmaceuticals, insect repellents, and other materials; other products made from naphthalene are moth repellents, in the form of mothballs or crystals, and toilet and diaper pail deodorant blocks. Naphthalene is also used for making leather tanning agents, and the insecticide carbaryl.

There are two common compounds related to naphthalene: 1-methylnaphthalene (C11H10, CAS #90-12-0), also called alpha-methylnaphthalene; and 2- ethylnaphthalene (C11H10, CAS #91-57-6), called beta-methylnaphthalene.

Chemical properties:

Naphthalene evaporates easily; when its vapors are mixed with air, the mixture can burn easily. It is soluble in benzene, alcohol, ether, and acetone; it is soluble in water at 20 degrees C. It is a moderate fire hazard when exposed to heat or flame; it reacts with oxidizing materials and chromium anhydride. It is a moderate explosion hazard, in the form of dust, when exposed to heat or flame.

Synonyms for naphthalene are naphthalin, naphthaline, tar camphor, white tar, NCI-C52904, albocarbon, and naphthene.

--------------

"WD-40 works well too. 1 oz per gallon, again only about a 3 mpg gain.
It was on a fuel injected Mazda Protege."

--------------

Major ingredients based on the November 2003 MSDS data:

CAS 8052-41-3 Stoddard Solvent 50%
CAS 64742-65-0 Petroleum base oil 25%
CAS 64742-47-8 Naptha 15%

Butyl Carbitol may still be part of the formulation, but only as a minor percentage.

Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

People put all sorts of wierd crap into the tanks of their cars, hoping for a little gain in either fuel economy or power.

Basically, if you want either, then tune the car really well, make sure the tyres are inflated correctly, make sure the brakes are disengaging properly (don't laugh. I had to overhaul a caliper that wasn't for a gf's friend once) and remove all excess weight from the car.

On the excess weight, I've noticed a marked decrease in the fuel economy of my car since I put on weight myself. Another reason for keeping trim, I guess.
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

<a href='http://www.nhra.com/dragster/1999/issue ... ology.html' target='_blank'>http://www.nhra.com/dragster/1999/issue ... gy.html</a>

"Here's an insider trick: Tucked inside the pages of Bowling Green Customs catalog is a Friction Reduction kit. Stock production disc-brake calipers always drag on the rotor, but with this inexpensive kit, the caliper can be compressed just enough to allow the front wheels to free wheel. It doesn't affect brake performance, but it does have an effect upon e.t. slips. To order the catalog, write to 2147 Post Oak Tritt Road, Marietta, GA 30062, or call (770) 971-4044."

gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Re: Using the big A........

Post by gnarnold »

I made the unfortunate mistake of tryING to get the layers of paint off of my rear emblem on the hatch .I put it in a litte bwl of what I thought was mineral spirits but turned out to be acetone .well to add to it I forgot about it and found it the next day .the paint was off .bUT it was really hard tying. To get that ball of melted plastic to snap back into the panel .matter of fact it was hard to do anything with it .it was a melted ball of plastic.
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|