Making a PCV jar....

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Making a PCV jar....

Post by takza »

For most cars...a pint pickle jar works pretty well. You just need a metal lid that has the rubber seal in it.

I use a tapered punch to put two holes in the lid...undersized to fit 3/8" ID fuel line hose. Don't use heater hose. Punch down from the top so the sharp points are inside.

The hoses are forced into the undersized holes using soapy water...then silicone caulk or Goop is used to seal them on top (after cleaning).

The inlet hose from the valve cover (crankcase) goes down into the jar about 1/3 of the way...the outlet (to intake) stops right inside the lid.

Hoses should have no low spots in them to collect water that might freeze and block them.

Part of a copper or stainless dish scrubber can be put in the bottom to help catch the oil.

You want NO vacuum leaks.

You do not want to restrict the flow any.

Grease should be used on the threads where the lid screws on in order to make it easier to empty the jar.

If possible...the PCV valve should be at the valve cover...with the PCV jar between it and the intake manifold.

It's a good idea to clean the PCV valve in laquer thinner or install
a new one.

The jar should be mounted in a can or a wire cage...and maybe some foam tape or inner tube rubber taped onto any part of it that might hit something solid to avoid breakage.

With the Tercel...the best place I've found to put it is sitting it on the frame behind the radiator on the passenger side.

* What is the purpose of a PCV jar?

They will collect excess oil vapors and water, etc...possibly allowing eventual mpg gains from the reduced carbon collected in the engine on valves...piston rings...etc.

You could also do a carbon cleaning after you install the jar.

viewtopic.php?t=152

They need to be emptied now and then...usually more often in winter. Dispose of the what is collected like you would used motor oil.
Last edited by takza on Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

use one of those NOS energy drink bottles for added effect :lol:

but seriously, the oil catch cans on ebay have come down a long way in price. i tried finding them locally, but none of the performance shops here have them, i guess its something more prevalent in the turbo-drifting scene, and that scene isn't very developed here.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Oil-Catch-Can-Tank-F ... dZViewItem
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

That one has a lot of doodads for the $. They are effective in helping to keep carbon cleaned up in the combustion chamber.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

one thing i did that helps keep things clean is closing off the tube going from the exhaust to the air filter housing, its suppost to allow air to go into the exhaust system to allow any unburnt fuel to burn off as it leaves the engine, but the check valve by this time has failed and allows exhaust gases into the intake and was fouling my plugs pretty bad untill i blocked it off with a wine cork.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Mac wrote:...until i blocked it off with a wine cork.
I presume in BC one would use a Fraser Valley modest and unassuming cork for a 3AC ? And you, of course, used a more robust Vancouver Island cork for your 4AC?
And CA-certified cars' owners are quite partisan when it involves Napa or Sonoma Valleys closures, right?
We here in Eastern MO just look a few miles to the West of STL for Hermann or Augusta appelations.
And those in OZ will go for Penfolds Grange for higher-output motors, right (except those living in Woop Woop)?
And the Kiwis have the famous Wairarapa closures.
Alas, those in Taz must settle for - what - screw caps? I could find no viticulturing regions.

Tom M.
PS: I hope I have not offended anyone, whether through use of a nickname or a wine preference - I am not an oenophile. I did learn a lot about the vast number of viticultural regions in AU and CA, though!
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Danged snobs! Around here we just use a whittled section of tree branch. :)

Doesn't hurt to clean those valves either...usually they are reed valves? Don't have one myself.

Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

only za best wine cork for MY tercel! :lol:
http://www.bcwine.ca/vqa/
Bradford

Post by Bradford »

This is some great information guys! Thanks for the tips. I have two T4WD's, an '83 SR-5 manual tranny and a '86 auto that is retrofitted with SR5 interior.

Who's Gold T4WD is that on this site with the lift and 14"? aggressive tread pattern wheels? I saved it to my desk top as it is the same color as my '86 and I would like to make mine look just like that one.

Bradford
1986 Tercel 4X4 automatic "Billy goat"
1983 Tercel 4X4 manual "Billy's Goat"
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

I think thats a promo picture for off road accessories that some company made for the tercel back in the 80s (bush bar, off road springs, better shocks, etc) i can't remember the details, but ask typrus, he knows about that stuff.
TuffGong
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 6 sp.

Re: Making a PCV jar....

Post by TuffGong »

Haven't done the carb clean yet....here's my jar. My friend makes em' and sells them on ebay. Seems a pickle jar might be overkill sizewise.

Cheers
84' SR5 Tercel wagon 4wd w/carb mods & a PCV jar.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

My first attempts were to try to duplicate the Condensator...so they were quart sized jars. I'm now using an air filter from Harbor Freight ..... due to needing the Condensator's room for something else. The Condensator supposedly acts as an auxillary carb and helps gas mileage.

splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Seems I'm the antagonist lately....

My take on the "condensator" is it only seperates condensible vapors(oil,water) while drawing blowby from the crankcase. Basically a PVC filter. It changes nothing as far as a/f ratio, except for the hydrocarbons from the otherwise burnt oil vapor. I don't beleive this would amount to enough to affect a/f ratio too much.

The main benefit would be less carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. Definitely a plus.