Cleaning the fuel pump

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
thebigbread
Top Notch Member

Cleaning the fuel pump

Post by thebigbread »

After finding out the reason i was not getting fuel, i decided to attempt to clean the fuel pump.
So far, it seems to be working.

I did not take any pics, but i will use the fuel pump diagram from the FSM.

1. Remove the fuel lines. If you have the stock lines, chances are they have the "butterfly" clips.
Simply squeeze them, & push them back, then pull of the lines.

2. Remove the pump using a 12-mm rachet with a short extension, & slowly pull it out.

3. Using a small section of 1/4" fuel line (you can borrow the one that goes to the fuel pump), hook it up to the INLET pipe.

4. put the other end of the 1/4" line in a can of seafoam. (if the line cannot reach, pour 1 oz. into a small bowl), & move the fuel pump's arm until about 1/2 oz. is sucked in the pump.

5. move the arm in 2 more times to circulate the seafoam and, covering all three pipes, shake the pump for 30 seconds.

4. let the pump set for 30-45min.

5 after letting it set, cover the OUTLET and the return pipes, & move the arm until it moves freely.

6. carefully, point the fuel pump away from you, & let go of the outlet & return pipes. This will cause the fuel pump to spit out the seafoam. repeat until the pump is empty.

Optional: use the prechecks & the 3 tests designated in the FSM, pages 181-182.

7. Bolt the pump back up, hook up the fuel lines, & crank a few times to circulate the fuel. The tercel should start right up.

A note about the gasket: if its in good condition & not dried out, you should be able to reuse it.

after cranking a few times, its a good idea to check for fuel leaks & to see if oil is leaking around the fuel pump if
you did not use a new gasket.

if this does not work, it probably means that something internal like the diaphragm or the oil seal is damaged. in this case,
its probably a better idea to simply buy another pump.

Notes:

It also seems to stick less if you first spray WD-40 into all 3 pipes before step 3.

Engine would not idle after doing this procedure, but a new set of Denso spark plugs solved that problem.
1984 2wd wagon, "bottle rocket": http://www.myspace.com/1984tercel
1995 Isuzu TFR-S, "Shorty": no cardomain page yet
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I'm not too sure that that concentrated solvent is that good for the diaphgram....but I've always suspected that those valves in there could stick.

Found that the arm on my old pump was running to the side of the cam...worn on one side....and was sticking when cold...maybe at the oil seal...springs were OK.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

but the fuel pumps can be had for around 28 dollars in http://www.rockauto.com

id rather spend that
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
thebigbread
Top Notch Member

Post by thebigbread »

shogun wrote:but the fuel pumps can be had for around 28 dollars in http://www.rockauto.com

id rather spend that
its not meant as a permanent repair, its just a temporary fix until you can buy another one.
1984 2wd wagon, "bottle rocket": http://www.myspace.com/1984tercel
1995 Isuzu TFR-S, "Shorty": no cardomain page yet
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

SeaFoam likely won't hurt it after 30-45 minutes of just sitting. Hell, you can run a diesel on straight SeaFoam. If you're worried about straight SF, just do a more concentrated dose in the tank. Say, 2-3 cans in a full tank versus just one. Still far more dilluted.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew